TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
789 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, I have a 4k stall that I bought used. I put it into my tranny and did a jmod. The car was amazing. Now about 6 months later it seems to be slipping. I cant tell if its the tranny or the converter. How do I tell? This also runs extremely hot. Even with a 46k btu cooler I've measured a hot of 260 deg before my sensor failed. You can feel the heat putting your hand between the tunnel and the seat. Funny thing is the fluid looks ok and doesn't smell burnt?? I'm planning on a new tranny and it'll maybe depend on whats wrong with this one. If the tc is shot I'll put a stick in the car, while if its ok I'll replace the auto

·
Super Moderator
7,564 Posts
A video of driving the car under different acceleration rates would help to diagnose it. Also, if the car was fine for a few months after installing the converter, then it sounds more like a problem in the trans, not the converter.

·
Registered
789 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thats my assumption. I was just surprised the amount of heat that its running. Is a tranny capable of making that much heat? Again about 260deg with a 46k btu cooler

·
Premium Member
6,617 Posts
If it's getting that hot something is wrong in the transmission and/or converter. That kind of heat will cause slippage by hardening the seals.
Alan

1 - 4 of 4 Posts