TCCoA Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Are there such things for our cars?

My car is disintegrating on my driveway in this Texas heat. It's bad enough the headliner is eroding and turning to dust, but worse still is that I replaced the window motor bushings a while back in the passenger side door, nobody has used that power window since that time, yet the motor now slips. The urethane bushings are already toast just sitting there!
It's not the first time the heat has turned them to goo.

I know some people replace them with metal bushings — are they storebought or do you guys cut them from metal rods? — but I'm wondering whether there are high-temp bushings for these cars that will hold up to TX heat. Does anyone know of more robust plastic ones that will fit our cars or am I forced to go metal?
I hate to use metal, due to increased risk of cracking the window, since metal won't give (or break apart) under load to avoid costly window replacement (and downtime).

I already have replacement urethanes, as I had bought extras the last time I had to replace the damn things, so I'll probably waste my time putting in the ones I have in inventory, but I'm getting fed up with them going bad, getting chewed up and having to clean all that crap out of the motor gear assemblies. :mad:

I have a rivet gun and proper size rivets for this car, so that makes regulator reinstallation easier, but it still seems like a big waste of time, knowing the new bushings won't last.

·
Super Moderator
8,425 Posts
1/4” nuts with a 7/16” hex are the perfect fit.

·
Registered
2,651 Posts
nobody has used that power window since that time, yet the motor now slips.
There is the issue right there. The window needs to be used regularly. Mine broke after not using it all Winter. Resistance is what breaks them, like when a person sticks their arm in there. Put metal pucks in, and turn the window into an "arm guillotine", lol!

Even if Texas heat is 5-10 deg hotter than some other places, that shouldn't break those pucks. They are inside the window motor after all, which is inside the door cavity.

Are you keeping the rubber window track lubed with silicone? Spray silicone along the door edge and work the window up down a few times.

Al

Reactions: XR7-4.6

·
Super Moderator
8,425 Posts
The rubber pucks break down with time and heat. More heat is definitely going to shorten their lifespan. The rubber pucks are there for the purpose of reducing noise, and not as a safety item, despite people repeating this fallacy for the last 20 years. Considering that the stock pucks are strong enough to shatter the tempered glass window if something gets in its way, replacing the pucks with metal is not going to make the window suddenly much stronger, and catching your finger in it is not going to hurt any more with the metal nuts than it would with the rubber pucks.

Reactions: Rodeo Joe

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Has anyone found that the points on the metal nuts have dug into the pockets of the nylon gear? That could chew up the gear over time. I wouldn't want to create a different headache while attempting to remedy the first one.

Also, has anyone here tried this. Looks promising, but I'm wondering how long the rubber would hold up (considering fuel line does very well in a very hot engine bay). Yes, I know, someone will say it's not the heat, it will be abrasion that destroys it. Anyway, here it is for your enjoyment:

·
Registered
397 Posts
Side note on the subject of power windows:
I can't remember where I read it, but one piece of advice is, after closing the windows all the way, to very briefly hit the down buttons. This should take any kind of pressure/stress off the window mechanism without lowering the windows at all.

·
Administrator
1994 Cougar XR7 DOHC/5-Speed
21,940 Posts
Really the best advise here is to just operate the windows regularly and keep them clean. My window bushings are still the originals, and the only explanation for that is I use them all the time and they’re always clean(I subscribe to the mindset clean wheels and windows = clean car no matter how filthy the body lol )

1 - 8 of 8 Posts