TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
MN12 Fanatic
1,459 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was just thinking about it today and I've never knew the reason why it costs a bit more the higher octane you go. I know alot of stuff about cars, but not this LOL, weird huh? Figured I'd ask you guys!

Is it just because of the lower demand for higher octane fuel? I assume that is all it is. Just lets the fuel companies make a few extra bux for those who need it. Same with race fuel, costs A LOT, but doesn't sell nearly as much as regular, therfore costs more??

Or are there actually "addictives" that raise the cost of the higher octane fuel???

Just wondering!

Thanks!

:tongue:

·
Registered
744 Posts
it's due to the refining process. all fuels start out as crude oil and get refined.

C= carbon count in the molecules strands. the more carbon = more mass, and they fall to the bottom of the still.

the separated fuel is then refined via vary processes:

race fuel & jet fuel (not shown) would be at the very top of the tower. there is less demand, but it requires much more refineing to make race fuel compared to say diesel. diesel is cheaper to make, but is in much more demand, thus yeilding a higher cost

·
MN12 Fanatic
1,459 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ahhh! Thanks alot man! Makes sense now! Great explanation too!

:D

·
Administrator
14,208 Posts
Tony said:
Is it just because of the lower demand for higher octane fuel?
You would be amazed at all the idiots who think they need high octane fuel. I think I'm one of the few around here that pumps regular.

·
Registered
6,111 Posts
I ran a couple tanks of premium in my mustang last summer, just to see what would happen, if I would see an increase in milage or a slight jump in performance.....NOPE! Nothing! Now, a friend of mine put ?110? octane racing fuel in his 02 F-150 Supercrew.....don't know if it made a differance or if it killed his 02's or anything...he never complained so I guess not :D

·
Chapter Director Coordinator
6,253 Posts
i run 93... cuz lonnie tells me to :tongue:

·
MN12 Fanatic
1,459 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
ShadowDragon said:
You would be amazed at all the idiots who think they need high octane fuel. I think I'm one of the few around here that pumps regular.

LOL, true!!!

Reminds me of a guy I raced at norwalk once.... He came up to me afterwards asking me questions and what not:

Blah, blah, blah....... (skip, get to the important part)

Ricer guy:
I run 94 with a can of "NOS octane booster" in my Civic for more power!

Me:
Hmmm ... is it TC'ed or something? You only ran a 17.6 though..

Ricer guy:
No it's completely stock except the exhaust and intake tube!

Me:
Ahhh, yea... Hey I gotta go! (didn't feel like arguing with him)

LOL, people these days!

·
Registered
817 Posts
ShadowDragon said:
for a unmodified car running stock tune, yeah. anything past 91 is unnecessary, unless youre planning on pulling a large load(like a boat or some ****) uphill.

i have the diablo predator right now in the stang. i have the timing maxxed out, and if i dont put 91(highest in cali at normal pump stations), i get knock up whe wazzoo when going wot.

in the dsm, i ran 91 but on a richer tune and less timing. i found a station that sold 100 octane for 4.50/gal, i was able to up the timing to almost 19* and lean out a wee bit and upp the boost to 22psi, and make 46lbs/min airflow, take the airflow and multiply by 10 and you get a estimate of crank hp, give or take 20. it was well worth it to fill the tank with 50 bucks and feel that amount of power going to 1 front wheel on the freeway lemme tell you:rolleyes: theres a reason that car is sold.

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
jamesD said:
i run 93... cuz lonnie tells me to :tongue:
Me also. Only problem is that the stations in this small @ss town changed ALL the pumps from 87-91-93 to 87-89-91. So, I had to pull my octane plug to run 91 instead of 93 (set up that way by lonnie) cause that's the highest octane I can get.

Sucks, but what am I to do?
Rob

·
Premium Member
2,546 Posts
my dad was in OK abotu 6-8 months for something. Filled up his bronco with 104 Octane fuel at the pump. 2.25 a gallon. I was like wtf.. you picked that up for 2.25 and I am stuck here paying 2.58 a gallon for regular... thats just effed up.

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
It's not a total waste to put in higher octane gas...
With higher octane the engine uses less gas...
My VW Passat gets 30 mpg with 98 (equivelent to your premium)
and only 26 mpg with 95 octane...

So depending on the difference in price it's cheaper
to run higher octane....

Just my .02

//Per

·
Premium Member
2,546 Posts
dude not in a Cougar or thunderbird... it doesn't know whether its premium or regular... therfor since its programmed for 87 it will put the same amount of gas in the cylinders regardless of octane. It thinks its putting in 87 even if its 110 racing gas. it will put the same amount of gas and will get the same mileage regardless unless it knows the octane lvl and changes timing accordingly.

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
What it thinks doesn't matter...
Higher octane gets a more complete burn i.e. more power..
With that little added power you don't have to push as hard
on the fun pedal....
Oh... This only works if you drive REALLY careful..
If you stomp on it it doesn't matter...

Oh, and the Passat is a 95 so it's not a bit more advanced than
the Tbird... Both got ecc-iv computers

//Per

·
Registered
2,230 Posts
ShadowDragon said:
I had a friend that put high octane stuff in his 92 Chevy Full Size 'cause it had a lot of mileage on it and the high octane was suppose to make it last longer.
One thing some might be forgetting, the SC's (and 89-90 XR-7's) require the pricey stuff.

·
Registered
817 Posts
FunktasticLucky said:
dude not in a Cougar or thunderbird... it doesn't know whether its premium or regular... therfor since its programmed for 87 it will put the same amount of gas in the cylinders regardless of octane. It thinks its putting in 87 even if its 110 racing gas. it will put the same amount of gas and will get the same mileage regardless unless it knows the octane lvl and changes timing accordingly.
until it starts to ping under accel due to ****ty gas, then itll pull timing and lose performance, whereas a higher octane gasoline has a higher tolerance to predetonation and thus wont ping/knock under load.

though if youre thinking on gasoline as a point a to b car(dd/commuter), then yeah, unless specified, id just use the low ****. no need to run 93 in a civic if itll never see more than 1/2 throttle and never enough of a load(uphill+wot) to even knock.

·
Registered
875 Posts
Higher octane fuel is LESS volatile (read: less explosive) than lower octane fuel. It is this characteristic that allows you to run more aggressive timing and higher CR. You will actually make most power with the lowest octane fuel you can run without pre-igntion of the fuel (pinging). The reason SOME cars slow down with cheap stuff is that the EEC pulls timing because of some minor pinging, not because of the fuel itself. Higher octane fuel does not equal more power or milage.

Mike

·
Boom.
5,238 Posts
ThomasR91169 said:
until it starts to ping under accel due to ****ty gas, then itll pull timing and lose performance, whereas a higher octane gasoline has a higher tolerance to predetonation and thus wont ping/knock under load.
Thunderbirds and Cougars do not have knock sensors.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts