TCCoA Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have some dorman 38438 hinge pins and bushings, and have read conflicting information on whether to drill the hole to fit the new bushings, or whether they will just tap into place.

·
Registered
490 Posts
I recently changed out both lower hinges instead of doing the pins.
Either way, it is always for me a wrestling match. I seem to spend an inordinate amount of time trying to get all parts lined up nice.

Any way you can hold the door in place while working on it...is good.

Reactions: 3_97_sports

·
Super Moderator
12,842 Posts
The pin holes will be oddly shaped. That's why the bushings require drilling; to have a smooth support for the bushing.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I recently changed out both lower hinges instead of doing the pins.
Either way, it is always for me a wrestling match. I seem to spend an inordinate amount of time trying to get all parts lined up nice.

Any way you can hold the door in place while working on it...is good.
I am going to use an engine hoist and a couple straps to support the door, and I will have an extra set of hands to help me.

·
Registered
490 Posts
I am going to use an engine hoist and a couple straps to support the door, and I will have an extra set of hands to help me..
Great plan.
I surely looked like a monkey xxxxxx a football with no help.

·
Registered
2,570 Posts
A floor jack with a block of wood also works to lift/hold the door in place. Doesn't take up the whole driveway like an engine hoist would.

My bottom hinge was egged out so bad that I had to have a welding shop partially fill the hole so I could re-drill it. All said and done, it was a huge job that spanned several days.

Al

·
Super Moderator
12,842 Posts
That is what I used. A buddy to hold the door still while you 'line bore' the hinge comes in handy.

·
Registered
490 Posts
Mine was and remains a royal pain to change, adjust and fine fit.

Mostly it has to be my poor skills, I had the fenders and hood off, and one fender is a replacement from a crash. The other fender also gut squished, but repaired.
My header panel is mostly fiberglass patchwork and is missing the right outboard corner (replaced fender side)

Thankfully, my passenger door is just fine.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts