TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering if anyone has installed a hitch ball and towed anything. I have a motorcycle I'd like to take on a family vacation - you know maybe get away from the wifey for a few hours and go cruisin. My son says I can't because of our uni-body construction, I have a stock 4.6 bird with a tranny cooler and it would be a total of maybe 1,000 lbs. I know that ball in the back would look like crap when not towing, Whattya think?

·
Registered
158 Posts
i woudln't forsee the bird having much of an issue towing that weight. prior to doing so id check up on the brake system and prob. check the trans (as they are well known on thes ecars to cough up their ghost with just the driver in the car). if you go for it, id do some trial runs to see how the car reacts. if the reaction is not positive, scrap the idea of taking the bike and take ur family on vacation without it. where u planning on going ?

Travis

·
Registered
3,726 Posts
A thousand pounds is half the weight your car is rated to tow. I got a hidden hitch that has a 3/4 tall by 3 wide receiver so you can barely see it when the bar and ball are removed. For controlling lights, you will need an isolation style box, not just tapping into the wires.

Only the SC cars state that you shouldn't tow with them.

·
Registered
5,412 Posts
i just have a drawtite hitch. never used it but i figure its good to have incase a retard rear-ends me.:D
I thought about buying one for that very reason :D

·
3rd Gear Chirper
2,399 Posts
If you have a tranny cooler and your car is healthy, it won't have any problem with a jet ski, motorcycle, anything small like that. And you can tow with a unibody, it's not as rigid as a truck frame but then again you will not be pulling stuff that absolutely requires a truck.

·
Registered
92 Posts
I don't know about your Bird, but I have a 97 with the 4.6. The owner's manual states that she's classified as a light duty towing vehicle and is rated to tow a loaded trailer up to 2,000 lbs. (combined trailer weight and load).

Mine came with a tow kit already attached to the "frame" with a removeable ball and wiring harness for the trailer lights. Previous owners installed it and used to tow a small Glastron boat to a nearby lake on occassion. I did research on this boat/trailer before buying the car and found it within towing specifications, just to make sure they didn't trash the tranny.

With the ball removed, you don't even see the rest of the kit under the bumper unless you look or you're at an angle. It's set a good distance back and under. Barely noticeable and not unsightly. If you want a visual reference, send me an email and I'll shoot you a pic I took. I can't post pics on here yet.

Best thing for you or anyone to do is find the towing section in your owner's manual. It gives all the details. If you don't have the manual, go to www.fordvehicles.com and click on the "Owners" link in the top right of the page. From there, you can navigate around that section and find your car's specific owner's manual and download it as a PDF if you wish to save/print it.

Worst case scenario, consult with a Ford dealer or tow shop, if you can find a knowledgeable service rep/tech.

·
Registered
3,726 Posts
If you don't have the manual, go to www.fordvehicles.com and click on the "Owners" link in the top right of the page. From there, you can navigate around that section and find your car's specific owner's manual and download it as a PDF if you wish to save/print it.

Worst case scenario, consult with a Ford dealer or tow shop, if you can find a knowledgeable service rep/tech.
That only goes back to 1996 for most vehicles, including ours :(

·
Registered
414 Posts
My son says I can't because of our uni-body construction,

One of the best tow vehicles I had was a 1979 Chrysler New Yorker. That is compared to a few trucks including a 3/4 ton truck.
It was a unibody.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts