TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,129 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Car started acting weird last night on my drive home. ABout a mile from home it started to run poorly and my CE light started flashing. I pulled over to the side of the road and popped the hood. No smoke or anything, just idling like ****. And alot of white smoke out of the exhaust. I drove teh remainder mile home and parked the car. I played around with it. When I rev it, i get more white smoke. It's not a burning oil smoke or anything, it's fuel. You can smell the fuel clear as day. I swapped my EEC with another one i had laying around and that cleared the CE light, but the fuel in the exhuast is still there. Haven't driven it with the swapped EEC, the car is up on jack stands with no tires right now since i had a few others things to do.

Any ideas what is going on?

Seems to be just dumping fuel like a mofo.

I've been keeping the fuel low for the past 3 days. Put in a few gallons, run to gas light, put in a few gallons, run to gas light. Then I hit the problem last night. I have to drop the tank this weekend, so i was trying to keep it lower. When the light comes on, you have 3 gallons left.

·
Registered
2,129 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
CE light was flashing till i parked. Next time i started it was steady.

·
Registered
975 Posts
I would put a screwdriver on each injector and listen through the handle. Maybe one of the injectors isn't closing.

·
02 Explorer Pioneer
2,880 Posts
Try unplugging the MAF and see if it gets better

·
02 Explorer Pioneer
2,880 Posts
Don't just guess. If you have a CE light that will give you clues

·
Registered
2,129 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
timb said:
Don't just guess. If you have a CE light that will give you clues
No check engine light. I swapped EEC's that cleared the code...

MAF was working fine for the past 72k miles. And then i had the 02 GT MAF for ahwile. Then I put the stock one back on.

I'm going to check everything. But the problem is with the fuel management i think.

I'll figure it out eventually. Got all week. Car's not going anywhere.

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
I think a flashing CEL may indicate a misfire ... ie, it flashes when a misfire occurs. Perhaps a failure in the O2 sensors or ECT is making it run extra-rich?

·
Registered
178 Posts
Maybe you have sucked up some particals on the bottom of the tank and your filter is bad. Or maybe your filter is bad and particals loosening coming from the filter to the engine. Changing ECUs won't change anything. It most likely a mechanical failer like injector/s. A bad Presser regulator won't cause you to have smoke like a mequito fogger and heavy scent of gas in your exhaust. You'll just smell it's a little richer than usual.

Clay

·
Registered
3,902 Posts
I just went through some simlar crap. Still am. I had one injector stuck open. I found this out by running the car, pulling all the plugs, look at which ones are wet as hell with gas. Then removed those injectors and I can blow through them with my mouth. I removed one from another cylinder and cannot blow through it so yeah. Stuck injector ownz my *** until tomorrow.

I got an old school 4.6 (EEC IV car)injector today and put it in place of the leaky one and hooked my stuck one into the wiring harness so the computer wouldn't trip. (It really hated having that older injector plugged up, I guess the resistances are different). Anyway, with this 5.0 injector in place, I can drive around like a 7 cylinder without the car running rich!

A quick way to test injector pulse if you don't have any noid lights is to get a 194 bulb out from under your dash, bend the tabs so they stick straight out and stick this into the injector connector. Start the car and make sure the light is flickering. If it stays off or on without any flickering, youve got EEC problems.

Oh yeah, stuck injectors still click when they are given a pulse so don't let that throw you off. If almost all the plugs were wet with gas, I would suspect FPR.

Let us know what you find out!
-Rob

·
Registered
44 Posts
I do not think it would be the FPR, because I have pulled my vacuum line to it before and it didn't really make that dramatic of a difference. My guess would be a faulty injector and yeah check your plugs for fuel.

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
With such a sudden change in drivability, and since it seems to be a fuel management thing, I would check all the relevant sensors and the wiring to them. Maybe something worked itself loose. ECT is very important for mixture. O2s. TPS. MAF and ACT too. Checking the sensors and the condition of the plugs seems to be a good way to get started.

·
Registered
324 Posts
You said you cleared the code when you swapped EEC,s. What was the code?
Also have you checked for codes with the new EEC, you don't have to see a CE light
for there to be codes.

Chris...............

1 - 13 of 13 Posts