TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I go to take out the Air Silencer today...but someone beat me to it! I couldn't believe it was already gone, and this was gonna be the first official thing I did to my car...bah!

And I thought the engine would get even louder! :D

·
MN12 Fanatic
1,459 Posts
LoL..... to bad huh?

Wonder if there are any other mods done to your car that you don't know about...hehe.

:D

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I dunno, really seemed pretty much stock...I wish the guy had forked up the cash to put 4.11s on the rear end instead of just removing the silencer though! :)

·
Sheepish
4,085 Posts
Did the previous owner know about TCCoA or did he just remove it for the hell of it?

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
AverageJoe said:
Did the previous owner know about TCCoA or did he just remove it for the hell of it?
No clue, bought it at a small dealership. Of course they said it was a Repo at one time.

Makes very little sense, it was still on stock spark plugs at 115,000 miles, but he took out the silencer?

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Wrong I was!

The Air Silencer WAS there...turns out I didn't really know what I was looking for in the first place, I figured it out, and was like DUH!!!!!!!!!!!!! Now I get the VROOOOOM going!

·
Sheepish
4,085 Posts
Lol! So what were you looking for originally?

·
MN12 Fanatic
1,459 Posts
Cool, so do you hear any difference in the sound? I'm sure you do...lol. At least now you got to do your official first mod! :D

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
AverageJoe said:
Lol! So what were you looking for originally?
I have no freaking clue! I was looking for something attached to the tube that turned out to BE the silencer! Bah!

It sounds awesome, same motor, but louder, and, well, VROOOM!!!! Yeah, it's awesome! Chalk one up for me! Now I've got some car working on confidence!!! Who's up for an engine swap? I'll get me a '01 SVT Cobra 4.6, two twelve packs of Mountain Dew, fire up the grill, and I'm having an engine swappin' party!!!!

I think, combined with a K&N Panel Air Filter, I did notice a very, very small peformance gain in the mid-range....VERY small...but It seems like it maybe made the K&N more effective...

·
Sheepish
4,085 Posts
Could just be psychological. Most guys here will argue that the K&N and so forth made no difference to your engine. Only a dyno would be able to settle the score.

·
8,239 Posts
agreed,
save the k&n for your non mass air equipped car. The filter oil has a habit of getting on your maf meter wires, not a good thing.

JH

AverageJoe said:
Could just be psychological. Most guys here will argue that the K&N and so forth made no difference to your engine. Only a dyno would be able to settle the score.

·
Refrigerator Raider Hater
11,719 Posts
JustinH said:
agreed,
save the k&n for your non mass air equipped car. The filter oil has a habit of getting on your maf meter wires, not a good thing.

JH

Only if you apply it wrong. I have run my K&N for 15K miles, cleaned and re-applied it once, and the MAF wire is oil free.

·
Sheepish
4,085 Posts
I agree with greenbird on that one. Most people tend to overoil their K&Ns. thats why they get oil all over the wires. If you put just enough to make the paper reddish/pinkish, you should be fine.

·
8,239 Posts
I still beg to differ with you fellas. I agree that too much oil is not good, but I bought a kn cone that was oiled from the factory, I put it on, and about 10k miles later i had oil covering my maf wires.

Maybe the factory put too much oil on mine.

JH

AverageJoe said:
I agree with greenbird on that one. Most people tend to overoil their K&Ns. thats why they get oil all over the wires. If you put just enough to make the paper reddish/pinkish, you should be fine.

·
Sheepish
4,085 Posts
Thats because they dip them in a vat of oil at the factory. They're way yonder too oily when you first buy them.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts