Discussion Starter #1
Ford owners sue, saying EcoBoost engine defective
Tuesday, May 14, 2013 -- The Associated Press

Sections:
Automotive

Wednesday, May 15, 2013
Author(s):
Associated Press

DETROIT — Three Ohio drivers are suing Ford Motor Co., claiming the company's six-cylinder EcoBoost engine is defective.

The lawsuit says the 3.5-liter V6 EcoBoost engine can shudder, shake and then rapidly lose power while drivers are accelerating. Two of the plaintiffs, a married couple, say their 2010 Ford Taurus SHO has lost power and stalled on multiple occasions. The third says he has lost power when he was accelerating in his F-150 pickup.

The lawsuit says more than 100 drivers have complained to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration about the V6 EcoBoost rattling or losing power. Ford hasn't recalled any vehicles for the alleged defect, and NHTSA hasn't opened an investigation, which is often the first step in the recall process.

The lawsuit claims Ford has acknowledged the problem in messages to dealers, but hasn't informed owners.

Ford declined to comment Tuesday, saying it hasn't seen the lawsuit. The company wouldn't say how many vehicles it has sold with the V6 EcoBoost engine.

Ford has been selling vehicles equipped with the V6 EcoBoost since late 2009. It's an option on the Ford Flex, Taurus SHO, Lincoln MKT and Lincoln MKS sedans from the 2010-2013 model years; the F-150 pickup from the 2011-2013 model years; and the Ford Explorer Sport from the 2013 model year.

Ford also makes four-cylinder and three-cylinder EcoBoost engines, but those aren't cited in the lawsuit. All three engines use turbocharging and direct injection to give them the power of a larger engine with the fuel economy of a smaller one.

The lawsuit was filed late last week in U.S. District Court in Columbus. A similar lawsuit involving different drivers was filed last month in U.S. District Court in Louisiana.

http://bostonherald.com/business/automotive/2013/05/ford_owners_sue_saying_ecoboost_engine_defective

·
Super Moderator
12,082 Posts
Hmmm?

Rob and Jeff haven't had any complaints about their SHO's ...

·
WOT Junkie and avid corn burner
3,734 Posts
Is it me, or does someone decribing their engine as shuddering, shaking, and losing power sound rudimentary? Sounds like a misfire. lol!

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
I've had my EcoBoosted F-150 for just over 2 years. Although I've only put on about 8K miles so far it only gave me trouble one time that was like a horrible misfire. I pulled over, shut it off, started it back up and it has been fine since, that was a few months ago.

It's too bad this issue cropped up, the engine is amazing otherwise.

·
Registered
101 Posts
:rolleyes: ya right highly doubtful .
You might be surprised. I cant tell you how many cars we have had to drain tanks on this past month because of bad gas. People are stupid too, im sure that the ecoboost takes premium fuel so who knows what kind of crap some are pumping into their brand new cars or trucks. Or maybe they just dont understand how turbos work. :tongue:

·
Super Moderator
17,044 Posts
:rolleyes: ya right highly doubtful .
Really? Because ecoboost has been on the market for 4 years, there's only 100 complaints and there's some poorly run gas stations out there. The symptoms described scream bad gas.

Good to see litigation continues to impede innovation.

You might be surprised. I cant tell you how many cars we have had to drain tanks on this past month because of bad gas. People are stupid too, im sure that the ecoboost takes premium fuel so who knows what kind of crap some are pumping into their brand new cars or trucks. Or maybe they just dont understand how turbos work. :tongue:
That's probably the case. Ford recommends premium on ecoboost engines but also market them on being able to run on 87 just fine, which they do. That is until 100 or so owners fill up with 87, put the pedal to the metal and have all their timing pulled by the knock sensors. Oh em gee, shuddering, loss of power while accelerating? Better call the lawyers, can't be bothered to read an owners manual or take it to the dealership first!

·
Voice/Data Guru
7,781 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

Yes Really !!!

Very true, The wife here has a best friend with a ecoboost, Always run 93+ in it , And I understand that they have had the same issues .

·
Registered
2,435 Posts
I worked on one today with a misfire, the issue is when the truck misfires it goes to limp mode for protection but still runs just fine and drives normal, truck had 60k miles and it was time for plugs, also we installed a tune, air intake and 170 thermostat, the truck is a beast, there aren't any trucks that will run like that period unless u add a blower or really hop up diesael, my sho has been fine and per readings have only seen this problem on trucks, people trying to sue are just just sorry crap in my book, I mean vehicles need spark plugs there's no guarantee they will go 100k miles u guys want my input the ecoboost is the fastest thing around for a stock motor

·
Voice/Data Guru
7,781 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I worked on one today with a misfire, the issue is when the truck misfires it goes to limp mode for protection but still runs just fine and drives normal, truck had 60k miles and it was time for plugs, also we installed a tune, air intake and 170 thermostat, the truck is a beast, there aren't any trucks that will run like that period unless u add a blower or really hop up diesael, my sho has been fine and per readings have only seen this problem on trucks, people trying to sue are just just sorry crap in my book, I mean vehicles need spark plugs there's no guarantee they will go 100k miles u guys want my input the ecoboost is the fastest thing around for a stock motor

Got that right chief , The friends SHO is a beast for stock. Reminds me of my dads big cubic inches and carbs(2-4barrels) for stock power.

·
Registered
2,435 Posts
Look at my sho ran 13.55 at 102-105 mph bone stock, I'm more impressed with the car ever time I drive it

·
Premium Member
271 Posts
Got a buddy with the sho and performance package (think thats the name of it) ups the power some and a few other things. He loves his and yes beats it daily. Had a few of the 150's in the shop. All were fixed with the cat and cooler tsb performed on them. Other then that Haven't had any in our dealership for work.
Well 1 guy with more money then sense. He has a 150 ecoboost , trucks not even out of warrant and all ready spent almost 30k on 2 Non warranty repairs.
And yes there is bad gas out there and dumb owners. Gas put in a diesel , diesel in a gas engine. Who buys a diesel and puts DEF fluid in the wrong hole then wants to blame someone else for there own incompetent. Its not rocket science here. lol

·
Registered
2,435 Posts
Performance package does not add power, my car has it also, lower final drive ratio, can fully turn off traction control, different spring and sway bar package

·
Premium Member
5,862 Posts
One of my good friends has an F-150 Ecoboost and has put over 45,000 miles on it.

Runs Great!

·
Registered
9,966 Posts
there are a few guys on f150forum.com that have had issues, followed through on the TSB for a revised intercooler and have not had any more problems. It seems as though the earlier models had issues, whereas the 2013 models are supposed to have the newer IC. A few of the "smarter" members on the forum have postulated that maybe the IC/Heat Exchangers are a little to effective in cold weather and cause condensation within the intake.

I am pondering trading in my black Lariat for an EcoBoost truck next year. My mom picked up a 2.0L Ecoboost Escape last friday and its definitely a fun truck to drive :)

·
Registered
2,435 Posts
I tell u there is a bunch of cry babies out there

1 - 20 of 42 Posts