TCCoA Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I just drilled the hole for the power lines for my amp and stuff and it looks close to a cat. Is there a way to insulate the wires? I feel like its just gonna melt right through. I couldn't really find many accessable spots to drill through. I went below and slightly right of the steering shaft.

Thanks,

Sean

·
Registered
319 Posts
You need to get a wire cover, i don't know the exact terminology for them but they are ususally black and the covering is serrerated I'm sure someone else on the forums knows what im talking about, most of your stock wiring has this stuff on them.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I know what you're talking about but..

Yeah, those things came in my amp installation kit, but are they heatproof?

G

·
That's why I said a bushing. Ask for a firewall bushing. They are nothing like the little grommets that you get with a kit.

·
drag-aholic
1,056 Posts
how big of a hole are we talking about. why not change the location. the black split loom is just plastic, i'd do something better than that. how about sleeving the wire with a rubber hose of some sort. Better yet , move the wire. it will be a nasty short if you burn through it. there is a rubber plug in front of the doors, by the rubber boot for the door wireing. that plug will put the wire into the kick panel inside. you can run it into the fenderwell about the liner then to that location.

·
Slacks 12 months a year, TCCoAAC Member
2,530 Posts
Heres where I ran mine...

I looked for about 30 minutes and couldnt find anywhere to run it,so I drilled a hole through the firewall just to the right of the brake booster(looking at the car).I did it from inside and took a chance at hitting the booster but didnt.It is about 3 inches from it.I then cut away the insulation and continued to drill the hole bigger,I am using 4 gauge wire so you know what thats about.I then put a hard plastic grommet in the hole and ran the wire through.Once I was done with the install I went back and put some silicon around the hole to prevent water from coming in.If you have a Dremel,that makes life so much easier.
Just a thought,
Chris

·
Registered
735 Posts
better idea

kragen...pcv grommet. theyre rubber, they insulate and can snugly fit on the wire. I have 2 0AWG running in from 2 grommets myself.

you only need split loom on the wire and you'll be fine. Make sure its zip tied correctly.

G

·
I'm telling you a bushing is a better idea than a grommet since the bushing seals it, not silicon or tape.......

·
Registered
933 Posts
I driller right next to the steering column (side by the center of the car) it goes it right behind the head. It's far enough away though that it doesn't get very hot, and i wrapped it with my lucky duct tape just in case :p

·
Automatic Weapon
1,219 Posts
You know, there is a huge rubber grommet already in place that is in the firewall right behind the glove box. I run all my wire through it.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Big-Al said:
You know, there is a huge rubber grommet already in place that is in the firewall right behind the glove box. I run all my wire through it.
Yeah, but isn't that on the other side of the car from the battery? I'd rather drill a hole and run the power wire on the same side of the car as the battery. It keeps your power wire lengths shorter.

·
Automatic Weapon
1,219 Posts
Yes, this is true. I applaud you for taking the time to drill though the firewall. I am just too lazy!

Why lie, I'm lazy! :D

·
Registered
60 Posts
Big-Al said:
Yes, this is true. I applaud you for taking the time to drill though the firewall. I am just too lazy!

Why lie, I'm lazy! :D
:D lol

·
Registered
157 Posts
I put that split loom and

I put that black split loom and secured it and also took some heater hose and split it and wrapped it around it. I haven't had any problems.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I have a 91 cougar. I pulled the passener side carpet and found a hole in the floorboard, but it was up so high you could pull the wire from under the hood.

·
Registered
7,557 Posts
1 - 19 of 19 Posts