TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i got a code pretty much saying i have stuffed up cats. could i just hollow them out? is it damaging to do so?would it work better or worse? my state doesnt have emission test.

·
Super Moderator
12,083 Posts
lozer, where are you in NC? Some counties are safety only some have emission testing requirements.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
im in pasqoutank county, near the obx.

·
Banned
241 Posts
take them off..I was running my car on 3 fouled sparkplugs and i actually blewup one catconverter.And since it blew up the car runs smoother than it ever has.Also i had a 92 cougar that i cut the cats off of and it helped in every way possible from exhaust sound to mileage.

·
Super Moderator
12,083 Posts

·
Registered
1,716 Posts
All emissions rules and possible MIL codes aside, it's better to simply remove the cat and replace it with a straight pipe than it is to hollow one out. The hollow chamber you'd create by knocking out the money parts would kill the exhaust velocity.

Now, if you need to keep the converter under there for "looks only" visual inspections, take it down and put an appropriate sized straight pipe through it. Now it's a straight pipe that looks like a cat, keeps the exhaust velocity up, and doesn't sound like poop.

·
Administrator
8,056 Posts
take them off..I was running my car on 3 fouled sparkplugs and i actually blewup one catconverter.And since it blew up the car runs smoother than it ever has.
Did you remove or replace the cat that blew up?

Joe

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
the code i got was p0420 catalyst system below efficiency threshold (bank 1 ), could that just be a bad 02 sensor? also got p1443.

·
Super Moderator
12,083 Posts
It could also be a clogged ERG.

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
P1443 is the evap purge flow. Search for it on here and you'll get pages of how-to replacements w/pics

·
Banned
241 Posts
im pretty shur the correct name for the part to replace the cat is called a " test pipe" for legal reasons.

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
All emissions rules and possible MIL codes aside, it's better to simply remove the cat and replace it with a straight pipe than it is to hollow one out. The hollow chamber you'd create by knocking out the money parts would kill the exhaust velocity.
Or you could do it the correct way and replace the cat............ :zdunno:

·
Registered
321 Posts
I got the same codes over the summer , the cats are shot , i went to three shops each said the same thing . Problem is my car is starting to smoke really bad when im sitting in traffic ,I think my valves stem seals are done I dunno.It only smokes when ive been sitting at idle for a lil bit but once ive drive a lil while it goes away .

·
Registered
3,902 Posts
The P0420 code means your o2 sensor data for bank one is showing the converter isnt doing its job as well as it should be. This could be from bad o2s on that bank, an exhaust leak before the converter, or a bad converter. If you gut that converter, that same code will still be around. You can try to diagnose it or just put on some MIL eliminators.

I built some mil eliminators with instructions found online years ago using stuff from radio shack. We put them on my wifes 97 GT and about once every 6 months I would have to clear out the catalyst efficiency code, so thats not too bad.

·
Premium Member
5,862 Posts
The P0420 code means your o2 sensor data for bank one is showing the converter isnt doing its job as well as it should be. This could be from bad o2s on that bank, an exhaust leak before the converter, or a bad converter. If you gut that converter, that same code will still be around. You can try to diagnose it or just put on some MIL eliminators.

I built some mil eliminators with instructions found online years ago using stuff from radio shack. We put them on my wifes 97 GT and about once every 6 months I would have to clear out the catalyst efficiency code, so thats not too bad.
Did your rear O2 MIL eliminators look like this, Rob?

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
okay,one quick question, does the converters in our cars have platinum in them? if im going to replace them with a "test pipe" then i might as well get some cash, someone told me that fords eliminated the use of platinum in the converters and use something else.

·
Registered
3,902 Posts
Converters still have platinum in them AFAIK, thats why people were stealing them a couple of years ago.

Netkeym, Those look awesome! Can you give me some info on those? I used circuit boards and soldered the o2 wires directly to the board. If I ever have to make some of these again...I think I will do it your way. The boards were kinda bulky and just wrapped in electrical tape.

·
Super Moderator
12,083 Posts
okay,one quick question, does the converters in our cars have platinum in them? if im going to replace them with a "test pipe" then i might as well get some cash, someone told me that fords eliminated the use of platinum in the converters and use something else.
Converters still have platinum in them AFAIK, thats why people were stealing them a couple of years ago.

If you guys are interested see this thread for more info on stolen cats. Thre are more precious metals in cats than just platinum.

http://forums.tccoa.com/showthread.php?t=109461

1 - 20 of 43 Posts