TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
WOT Junkie and avid corn burner
3,734 Posts
Pro: none
Con: Check engine light

In my opinion, if you are going to replace or remove the factory catalysts, put some high flow cats in there. They are not that much of a restriction and you won't be harming the environment. I don't mean to sound like an eco-freak, but I prefer to be responsible when it comes to things like this.

·
Registered
484 Posts
pros, not much

cons, poor gas milage, check engine light, failed emissions testing, reduced performance, also on some cars hollowing the cats make a bad smell and makes your exhaust sound like crap.

get some high flows or remove the 3rd cat or both

·
5,650 Posts
Pro: slightly more flow
Incorrect. Hollowing out the cat does not increase flow. Yes it increases cross-sectional area, but the huge void in the catalyst chamber reduces exhaust gas velocity and will disrupt the flow more than if the cat was there. The only way this increases the engine's performance is if the catalyst is plugged up and/or broken apart, thereby blocking the flow.

·
Banned
241 Posts
i had removed the cats on my 92 cougar 3.8 and it ran exelent and super smooth, and it never threw a code or check eng light...i will give input soon as im gonna be replacing my stock exhaust with some 2.25in true dual and it deletes the cats and has a bung for the oxy sensor..lets hope it all goes well,im thinking it may need mufflers, but if i were you cougar chaser, dont do it..remove the rear cat and the mufflers and it will sound good, thats what i currently have and it has a growl, hear for ur self...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m8V_gIsxOvg

·
Banned
241 Posts
this man knows his stuff, i must admit......

1 - 12 of 12 Posts