TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
7,758 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here's my problem:

My Samsung DVD player (with NUON… :rofl: :rofl: ) is having more and more problems reading newer DVD's. Cleaning helped some, but it seems to be on its last legs. I really like this DVD player because it has the optical output, 5.1/DTS/etc as well as component video out.

What I’m running into is that I can’t find a replacement DVD player that has Analog Component Video.

My 61" Toshiba projection TV uses "ColorStream" (not ColorStream Pro, which is digital) and will only do 480i (i.e. it is not HDTV ready :bawling: ). But it is working fine, I just need a DVD player.

Composite, S-Vido, NTSC is not an acceptable option, nor is losing optical 5.1/DTS/etc decoding. :D

Thoughts, suggestions?? :(

·
Premium Member
2,725 Posts
I would start weeding through the toshiba dvd players on ebay. I know the sd-4900 had what you want, as did a few others but many of their older decks cant play -r/+r media well (if at all). Just avoid colorstream pro (digital) players and you should be fine.

·
Registered
1,528 Posts
All component video is analog. The features you are looking for are very common.

For example, a cheapie from WalMart.

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=9239555.

- Component video
- Optical out
- DD/DTS decoding

Having component connections in that TV is a bit superfluous anyway considering it is 480i, which is equivalent to VHS and composite video. ColorStream is a sales gimmick, and does not make Toshiba's inputs exclusive to ColorStream products. You can plug anything you want in there.

I found what looks to be the manual for your TV, and it says nothing about only using ColorStream certified products.

http://tacpservice.toshiba.com/ConsumerProductSupport/Manuals/TV/tp50h60.pdf

·
Registered
7,758 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ah ha, said the blind man as he hit his thumb with the hammer... :D

This is why I was getting confused:
http://www.pcmag.com/encyclopedia_term/0,2542,t=component+video&i=40115,00.asp
http://www.pcmag.com/encyclopedia_term/0,2542,t=YCbCr&i=55147,00.asp

I was thinking that the new DVD's component were used the YCbCr vs. the YPbPr my TV is using. :D

So do all the DVD players have an option to do 480i even if they are labeled as a progressive scan? I.e. can I go ahead and get a high(er) end DVD player that will support 1080p while it still working on my 480i TV? So when I my TV dies... :D

Thanks for the clarification. :bowdown:

·
Registered
1,528 Posts
Any DVD player should work right out of the box. Some have switches on the back of the unit, but I haven't seen that in a long time. Newer players automatically choose the resolution, so just plug and play.

I don't even think they make non-progressive scan players anymore, and since the majority of the TV owners still own SDTVs, it would be impractical for companies to make players only play on 480p and higher TVs.

If worse comes to worst, you can just use the composite connection. I doubt you would notice a difference.

·
Super Moderator
10,663 Posts
Newer DVDs have additional copy protection on them that makes them not work on most old dvd players.

This is intentional; they want you to buy a new one.

Rip+burn with no copy protection makes everything work just fine...

·
Registered
573 Posts
+1 on the PS3. It'll give you Blu-Ray, and some VERY nice upscaling for SD-DVD when the TV gets upgraded. You'll keep the optical out as well, but will have HDMI ready when you are.
Of course, it's more $$$ than a base model DVD player.

Peter M

·
Registered
381 Posts
it is a little more, but you also have a ps3 for gaming and such. We had one hooked up to our tv. pretty awesome. So i'm also going to have to agree with the ps3!

·
Registered
7,758 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I've been considering a gaming station for a while, but being a more strategy type gamer, I usually lean more towards PC based gaming as I feel they are more involved.

AND.... I sit on my fat arse enough watching TV/DVD's already, so the last thing I need is another “legitimate” reason to be a bigger couch potato than I already am!! :beek:

·
Registered
381 Posts
that is true. But with the ps3, you could stream any videos and pictures you have on your pc to the tv, which is a feature i really liked using.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts