TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,556 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a RCA dvd player, and it wouldnt come on, so I pulled the cover off (out of warranty anyway) and i saw a blown fuse. so i replaced it, and plugged the power cord into the back and immediately the fuse blew and made a horrible smell and flashed. My dad said there is a short somewhere and its not worth sending in to fix. So my question is: are the $89 dvd players at wal mart THAT much worse than a more expensive one? I can afford a more expensive one, but i dont want to if i dont have to.

help me out :)

·
Sheepish
4,085 Posts
If you're talking about the APEX ones, be wary. Those are notorious for losing brightness control. During the entire movie its brightness cycles from full dim to full bright (not so much as to wsh out all the colors, and not so much as to go completely black...just rather dark.)

Kind of annoying, but not all have done that. Just most.

·
Registered
1,848 Posts
I bought one for my parents for Christmas and they haven't had a problem out of it yet, although they've probably only used it for 20 to 30 movies so far, so that isn't probably too much to weigh on.

-J

·
Registered
2,983 Posts
I got a GE dvd player at walmart almost 6 months ago. It is pretty good for only $88. I have no bad things to say about it.
I have heard bad things about the no name or cheaper name brands at walmart like Apex.

-Shawn

·
Registered
1,921 Posts
I was just at Target today and Picked up a nice base model Toshiba for 87$ to replace my 3 year old toshiba with (the old one doesn't allow the use of CD-R's or MP3, still works GREAT) Has all the outputs you would need also.

·
Registered
2,556 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
cool...thanks guys.

just ordered a samsung off ebay for $98 including shipping...has the progressive scan and all that stuff. :)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts