TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,799 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was strongly considering the Home Made RAM Air Idea.. Damn for $50 dollars and 20 HP where do I sign up?

Anyone ever had any troubles such as the cone getting dirtier?

Also, the materials outside of just the cone filter I could get a Home Depot or Lowe's right?

Please let me know, and thanks again for your help!

·
Registered
1,799 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
According to the tech articles a possible 20 HP is possible. Here is the link:

http://www.tccoa.com/articles/intake/ram.html

It would make sense.. RAM air would cause an IMMENSE amount of air to flow into the intake and eventually to the OHC...

It's also cool to say.. Hey, my car has Ram Air!

·
Registered
1,799 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
How much are we talking for a few?

Is it more than the K and N panel / removed air intake silencer combo??

·
Registered
620 Posts
Metalbassist03 said:
How much are we talking for a few?

Is it more than the K and N panel / removed air intake silencer combo??
It is hard to put numbers on these things, but it won't make any drastic change in the performance of your car by itself. You will probably see a decent improvement in gas mileage though. A cold air system with a K&N cone will flow better than the panel/ removed silencer.

·
Chapter Director Coordinator
6,253 Posts
now, a ram-air setup on the new 05 gt would make a difference..

i would hope as much as between the Z28 and SS OR TA and WS6, ther eis a 20hp diff between those two models.. and the new 05 motor has front induction like the LS1.... i so want that engine.. start off w/ 300horse

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
I don't know that my "ram air" setup gained me a thing...it does bring in cold air, but that's about it. And as for the ram air gains on the LS1, GM has been underrating that engine for years. Notice how the GTO makes 350 hp using the EXACT SAME engine, and that the Corvette was always rated higher than the F-body? Same engine man, GM just wanted people to shell out the extra cash for the ram air option.

·
Registered
1,799 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The Vette also has a pure carbon fiber body, unique to many sports cars.

So in conclusion the homemade ram air:

- Improves HP by some
- Definitely Improves MPG without a doubt... by a noticable amount?

·
Refrigerator Raider Hater
11,719 Posts
expect 0 to 3 hp

expect 0 mileage gain.

when people see "cold air" kit showing gains it's becasue they were stupid and just stuck a cone filter on their MAF, and just let it suck in hot engine air. The stock airbox sucks in nice cool air from the fender.

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
The Corvette does not have a pure carbon fiber body. The commemorative edition Z06 has a carbon fiber hood, but that's it. The rest of the car is fiberglass, as it always has been. Besides, even if the vette did have a CF body, what would that have to do with its horsepower rating.

·
Registered
2,894 Posts
The intake should have a wide ovalized funnel shape to gather as much air into it and ram it in there as possible, kind of like a big hood scoop. It might be more effective if the whole area under the bumper could have a wide intake opening to gather as much air as possible. The slower you drive, the bigger the intake end has to be.

:rolleyes: :)

·
Jedi Master
3,647 Posts
it actually takes a lot of heat to actually get a loss if have a cone filter, I read sum article, that i have posted before, and they claim to have a gain of about 2-3 hp on a complete cold air set up, but no gain with just a filter

·
Registered
1,799 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well I'll take your advice Greenbird and won't do it. I just get worried if I hit a big puddle with that down there it fuxor the Cone.

Anyways.. I'll stick with the panel/air intake, just becase I am pretty positive that will work for a fact.

About the Vette's.. When I went to the museum, they claimed all Vette's were made up of carbon fiber.. Especially the first ones that came out (showed a guy holding the "shell" with one hand). Maybe the changed it.. I'm sure they did probably.

Thanks again guys.

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
The Corvette has never been made of carbon fiber--in fact, the hood on the new one is the first time a major production car has EVER used carbon fiber body components. I don't know what museum you went to, but they don't know jack if they told you that.

·
Registered
1,799 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Hm.. I may have misheard something then... This was at the national Vette museum in Bowling Green, KY.

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
Trust me on this one. The media kit GM sent me for the 2004 Corvette makes a big point about that carbon fiber hood being the first production body panel using that material.

·
Registered
1,799 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I know the carbon fiber was a BIG deal for the Le Mans 2004 Z06, because I saw them point that out as one of the special features of the Vette..

I think for a fact the VERY first ones were made of carbon fiber.. Then they switched up as time passed on.

·
5w30 Guzzler
1,462 Posts
mercutio said:
And as for the ram air gains on the LS1, GM has been underrating that engine for years. Notice how the GTO makes 350 hp using the EXACT SAME engine, and that the Corvette was always rated higher than the F-body? Same engine man, GM just wanted people to shell out the extra cash for the ram air option.
while GM most likely underrated the F-bodies' power, the real numbers were not the same as the vette's. saying they have the same engine is like saying 4.6L birds have the same engine as a 4.6L GT.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts