TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6,111 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, I have a fairly nice sony stereo...it's a pretty sweet setup, but about a year ago "somebody" set one of those glade plug in air freshners with the oil stuff in them on top of one of my speakers (okay fine, I did it) and the oil stuff leaked out on the top of the speaker. The Speaker boxes are covered with a sort of contact paper, which on the top of the box, the paper was ruined. (they're made out of like particle board...I removed all the contact paper stuff off the speaker box so now it is just bare "wood" The wood is not hurt. and it looks pretty bad...I would like to re-cover it, but the covering material is like an almost metal flake looking gray color...does anyone know where I could get some similar (I dont want to re-cover both speakers but if I have to I will) Should I maybe just take the speaker(s) to a vynal shop and have them cover both boxes? Any ideas? I'm open to anything at this point.

Thanks

Earl

·
Registered
313 Posts
a couple ideas..

1.) go to a countertop place and look through their chips.. If anything comes close, they can order the raw veneer. (Lowes or Deep Homo (Home Depot) might have something in stock) Cut to size and glue it down with spray adhesive.

2.) (and very ghetto) take a chip to Deep Homo and have them colormatch a gallon of cheap wall paint. If it looks too different, you can paint both boxes...

·
Johnny Five is Alive, TCCoAAC Member
1,614 Posts
Go Retro :)

Strip both boxes, Paint w/Flextone Paint or Marbolize it with the Marbolize piant kit, and then put a nice thick coat of clear on it :)

Or buy new speakers :)

·
Registered
6,111 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thumper91 said:
a couple ideas..

1.) go to a countertop place and look through their chips.. If anything comes close, they can order the raw veneer. (Lowes or Deep Homo (Home Depot) might have something in stock) Cut to size and glue it down with spray adhesive.

2.) (and very ghetto) take a chip to Deep Homo and have them colormatch a gallon of cheap wall paint. If it looks too different, you can paint both boxes...
You have inspired me....and that can be a scary thing sometimes.

·
Registered
313 Posts
Right Click, Save as..

I used to work there back in the day..

There was this ASSistant manager that wanted to get with my girlfriend (now my wife), and we both worked there.

So this a$$clown calls me into his office one day (about a week after he made it clear to my GF that he was going to be with her one way or the other).. and fires me after 4 yrs part-time and 2 yrs full time.

When I asked for a reason, he told me he recieved a comment card, and the story went like this...

I was stocking some lumber, when I was approched by a cutomer who needed help loading some wallboard... Apparently, I told the customer that "Home Deopt is the do-it-yourself wharehouse.. so do it yourself.." And continued to stock.

He couldn't produce the comment card.. so it was his word against mine.. and out I went..

2 wks later.. my GF told him that she broke up with me while they were both standing by the Regional Managers Office .. (of course she didn't break up w/ me, we were setting him up to get an assbeating).. and this Buttmonkey puts his arms around her and grabbes her butt.. she screamed.. and the RM fired him for sexual misconduct..

Oh yea.. we still beat his a$$ later too..

{end of story}

I'll shut up now..

·
Registered
927 Posts
Thumper91 said:
I think I'd go with this idea, and as much as I hate to admit it, formica is available in some sweet patterns/colors.

My first idea was to get some stainless steel plates and screw them to the tops of both speakers--you'd never have to worry about sitting something on top of them again, but I wonder if something like that might affect the sound the speaker produces.

·
Registered
6,111 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Formica...interesting, I didnt think of that, and your right, it DOES look sweet (in itself, the patterns/colors, NOT on counters)...I think I'm gonna do it to both speakers

It'd be just like the original star trek if I went with orange! :D

·
Registered
313 Posts
Quote: My first idea was to get some stainless steel plates and screw them to the tops of both speakers--you'd never have to worry about sitting something on top of them again, but I wonder if something like that might affect the sound the speaker produces.

Aluminium Diamond Plate..

·
Registered
927 Posts
Oops, I screwed up my first response. I meant to quote:
Thumper91 said:
That would be cool too.

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
Best I can come up with. Clicky
Rob

·
Registered
6,111 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thumper91 said:
Quote: My first idea was to get some stainless steel plates and screw them to the tops of both speakers--you'd never have to worry about sitting something on top of them again, but I wonder if something like that might affect the sound the speaker produces.

Okay, it's been a couple years, but I finaly re-covered my speakers, & it's a trip that this was suggested, because I ended up going with stainless steel looking contact paper...looks pretty good.

Earl

1 - 12 of 12 Posts