TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an 89' T-bird with a 3.8 How do you go about making homemade cold air or ram air induction?

·
Registered
443 Posts
www.geocities.com/coldairintake38

i'm testing a new style which eliminates the 90 degree before the maf...very similar to the zrmotorsport intake for the sc...my pro m doesnt seem to respond well to the bend

·
Registered
861 Posts
I'll tell you how I made mine! I took off the air silencer in the fender well as like me "first mod" and then I got K&N cone, but after a while I wanted cold air intake too, and I was pretty poor so I looked for what I could use in garage and found the air silencer. Well--the air silencer is made up of 3 parts, there's the main body, the snorkel part, and this lil elbow part that, that's the part the bolts up to the underside of air box, and this is the important part. See, the opening of this lil elbow, the part that goes into main body of air silencer is just the right size for the opening of my 9" K&N cone. So, to try to make an already long story short, put the cone filter on the elbow part, bolt this to the bottom of the stock airbox, basically so it's just like stock, with the fenderwell metal sandwiched between airbox and elbow part, it's just like the stock set up. Then put the air box together again just like stock. Of course seal the airbox where to normal filter would go, I actually used my old filter and took the paper element out so I just had the foam outside. So in the end, I had a 9" K&N cone in the fenderwell but all the air went through the empty air box, so it looks perfectly stock. And, at the time alot of people were talking about how the airbox might be better because it directed the air towards sampling tube in MAF, so with this set up, you get nice stock looks, nice cold air, with the same airflow characteristics as a stock set up, just breaths alot better.

·
Registered
443 Posts
i just put together my new style cold air intake today...the maf is now directly in-line with the filter...in fact the cone filter is attached to the maf but it still in the fenderwell...it is very similar to the zrmotorsport sc intake except it has a curve at the tb...it works great...i was getting a problem with getting a good reading with my pro m at idle...it now runs fine...time to get it powder coated now...

http://www.tccoa.com/gallery/intake/intake12.jpg

·
Registered
825 Posts
Here is mine, nice big tube, maf, and cone, :D (airbox is off because it is being re-fabbed

·
Registered
443 Posts
uh...your joking right...

·
Moderator, Iowa Chapter Director, Uber Luber, TCCo
8,978 Posts
AAAAAAAAH ha ha ha ha ha ha ha...That's good.
-Thomas

·
Registered
7,557 Posts
I'd like to put in a cold air intake. I don't know much about cars, I just like to mess with electronics and painting. If you could send me some info on how to make one, or just some helpful tips, I'd appreciate it.

·
Registered
607 Posts
I wrote the article. Just give me a few more days to get the pics developed, and I will send everyone a copy.

Tony, I woudn't say it was messed up. It needed a good cleaning.:) But other then that it was a great deal.

Jim

·
13's or Mildly Broken
2,671 Posts
If you could, send me a copy too. I'd be interested in reading it. My e-mail is [email protected]

-Andy "Melon"

·
Registered
237 Posts
XR7kid said:
I'll tell you how I made mine! I took off the air silencer in the fender well as like me "first mod" and then I got K&N cone, but after a while I wanted cold air intake too, and I was pretty poor so I looked for what I could use in garage and found the air silencer. Well--the air silencer is made up of 3 parts, there's the main body, the snorkel part, and this lil elbow part that, that's the part the bolts up to the underside of air box, and this is the important part. See, the opening of this lil elbow, the part that goes into main body of air silencer is just the right size for the opening of my 9" K&N cone. So, to try to make an already long story short, put the cone filter on the elbow part, bolt this to the bottom of the stock airbox, basically so it's just like stock, with the fenderwell metal sandwiched between airbox and elbow part, it's just like the stock set up. Then put the air box together again just like stock. Of course seal the airbox where to normal filter would go, I actually used my old filter and took the paper element out so I just had the foam outside. So in the end, I had a 9" K&N cone in the fenderwell but all the air went through the empty air box, so it looks perfectly stock. And, at the time alot of people were talking about how the airbox might be better because it directed the air towards sampling tube in MAF, so with this set up, you get nice stock looks, nice cold air, with the same airflow characteristics as a stock set up, just breaths alot better.

Did you feel any gain or did it just sound better?

·
Registered
861 Posts
yeah, there was a gain, and this one night i got home from driving around, mostly on freeway, and the upperintake manifold was like ice cold, it was great!

1 - 20 of 58 Posts