TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
as some of you probably know, I like building my own hoods for my cougars instead of buying them (cheaper and keeps with the hot rod roots). It started with the Fox Cougar hoods and now I decided to try my touch on an MN12 hood.

Here as some pics of the progress so far.

This time I decided to try making it a functional scoop and just cut the hood and raised the center, instead of grafting on a whole nother chunk of sheet metal, on top of the stock hood. This hood has also proven to be the strongest I have made so far, (no doubt due to welding the sides, rather then rivets, and fiberglass. :dunce: ) The wind knocked it over onto the cowl, on a concrete floor without any damage. :grinno:

So, opinion time. What do you guys think? Any other ideas?

·
Registered
2,137 Posts
id do the same but i like cowl+ weight savings. I woulda made that cowl a little longer, taller, and maybe an inch taller

·
CEO, WT Club
2,648 Posts
:saeek: Nice man, keep up the good work!

·
Registered
811 Posts
cougarfan said:
looking good you thought about making them for sale
:idea: That is a great Idea! It really might be worth considering. It has all of the things that the stock hood needs (no trimming to fit, not having to reinforce the spots for the hindges, and no hood pins). With all of that said, it is probly more stable than an aftermarket fiberglass jobie! Looks good. :headbang:

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the compliments guys. :)
and yes it is quite stable and strong.

cougarfan said:
looking good you thought about making them for sale
Yeah I have thought about that, but first I want to perfect my techniques with my own hoods. So far this one is by far the best I have done so far. I may sell this one real cheap with a stock trade-in when it is done, so I can try it again on another hood. :cool:

I think I have less then $100 in materials right now. and only about 8 hours or less, worth of work. Any ideas what would be a reasonable price for this thing would be? :2huh:

·
Registered
811 Posts
$9.95 plus shipping. But first slap a "Seen on TV" logo some where in this post. :D LOL I just seen one of those stupid infomertials. Just kidding I really don't have an Idea.

·
Registered
4,205 Posts
I seriously thought about doing that, but took a different way out. It looks good though, the bodyshop that's working on my car did that same concept with an old chevy truck hood, and it came out awesome.

·
Registered
5,978 Posts
pretty good work, i saw your post over on couagrnuts too. the one thing i want to ask is how come you didnt make the edges of it go to the body line in the hood? i have been contemplating what to do with my hood on my cougar, but i keep not liking my ideas.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
jk89cat said:
pretty good work, i saw your post over on couagrnuts too. the one thing i want to ask is how come you didnt make the edges of it go to the body line in the hood? i have been contemplating what to do with my hood on my cougar, but i keep not liking my ideas.
The reason why I didn't go to the body lines is because I wanted something that looked a bit different then everyone elses. I was looking at Gerards cat almost as insiration I guess. All the fiberglass hoods I've seen, due away with the body lines on the hood, and I think that is a mistake. The lines on this hood help accent the cowl, and set it off.

After a couple of hours sanding last night, it is about 90% done. And looks way better then I thought it would. :headbang:

·
Registered
811 Posts
1WLD BRD said:
The reason why I didn't go to the body lines is because I wanted something that looked a bit different then everyone elses. I was looking at Gerards cat almost as insiration I guess. All the fiberglass hoods I've seen, due away with the body lines on the hood, and I think that is a mistake. The lines on this hood help accent the cowl, and set it off.:
I like the creative thought that went into that. I want to see the finnished product. I may also be interested in one. . . .96-7 though. Not sure on how much different it would be.

·
Registered
811 Posts
What does it look like now?

·
Registered
121 Posts
hey man i got a ram air hood and my stock hood is just sitting so if you need it pay for the shiping and its yours what i need it for

·
Super Moderator
7,689 Posts
just a thought, what about making the rise follow the body lines on the hood? That would make for a wider cowl, but I think it would look good once installed on the car since that way the cowl would match the shape of the grille.

Mike

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Lowthunder can you check on shipping to Dunnville Ontario for me and I will let you know.

MadMikeyL said:
just a thought, what about making the rise follow the body lines on the hood? That would make for a wider cowl, but I think it would look good once installed on the car since that way the cowl would match the shape of the grille.

Mike

Hmmm, interesting idea. I will think about triing it. as for what it looks like now, it is fully primered and on the car. I still have some pinholes to fix, but it is good enough till this weekend. I will try and finish it this weekend and post some new pics, if anyone is still intrested. :cool:

1 - 20 of 21 Posts