TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Mechanic suggested swapping out Mercon V with Honda factory ATF to fix shutter. Anyone else heard of or tried this? (Personally I would hate to put anything from Honda in my car, but if it would work....)

·
Registered
238 Posts
IMHO - If Mercon V doesnt help I think you're screwed.

·
Registered
917 Posts
Mechanic suggested swapping out Mercon V with Honda factory ATF to fix shutter. Anyone else heard of or tried this? (Personally I would hate to put anything from Honda in my car, but if it would work....)
From personal experience I would not use Honda fluids in anything but a honda. Just like ATF+4 is specifically for mopar vehicles, Honda ATF is specificlly formulated to work in Honda and Acura ONLY.

·
Registered
5,417 Posts
They "major chem companys" say that cvt trans fluid (new Honda spec) is acceptable for all transmissions currently it's expensive, smells bad, looks like oil, and honestly I see nothing wrong with mercon V.

·
Registered
2,029 Posts
They "major chem companys" say that cvt trans fluid (new Honda spec) is acceptable for all transmissions currently it's expensive, smells bad, looks like oil, and honestly I see nothing wrong with mercon V.
Yeah, my transmission was shifting lousy, so I changed out the fluid (it was almost dry Mercon) so I filled it up with Mercon V, and its flawless.

·
Registered
2,435 Posts
Fully synthtic fluid will fix the shudder way better than Mercon 5 cause it's a blend plus the synthtic can Handle more heat if your wanting some shoot me a pm

Robert

·
Registered
875 Posts
Lol, not like the MerconV "smells" any better. I almost puked when i bought a case and smelled the new stuff. :)

·
Registered
2,029 Posts
Fully synthtic fluid will fix the shudder way better than Mercon 5 cause it's a blend plus the synthtic can Handle more heat if your wanting some shoot me a pm

Robert
But it can still be mercon... napa sells a fully synthetic mercon v substitute, thats what used...

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
Lol, not like the MerconV "smells" any better. I almost puked when i bought a case and smelled the new stuff. :)
I havent smelled Mercon V yet, but ATF+4 is by far the most foul smelling fluid I have ever smelled. I had to make sure to use gloves when replacing the fluid in my old plymouth voyager to make sure I didnt have that on my hands.

·
Registered
5,417 Posts
CVT smells worse than Mercon V. IMO.

·
Registered
875 Posts
CVT smells worse than Mercon V. IMO.
I'll take your word for it, lol. I was just shocked when i bought the mercon stuff and smelled it, i'm used to smellin old school tranny fluid and could tell right away if your bands were slippin. This stuff is like smellin Buckleys even when it's new. :tongue:

·
Registered
2,435 Posts
Raptor22 yes you are correct but the fully synthtic is far above and beyond the blend

robert

1 - 12 of 12 Posts