1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7,758 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Super Moderator
7,566 Posts
That thing looks EXACTLY like a prius, only with a Honda emblem replacing the toyota one up front. If they really can build it and sell it for $18.5K, then that would be great cause toyota would then have to find a cheaper way to make the prius and they wouldn't be so cost prohibitive anymore. That being said, the notion of a car that is specifically designed to get the best gas mileage having 4 doors and seating 5 seems ridiculous to me. There is no reason that 95% of the people who buy a prius or insight would ever need the back seat since they are all used for commuting to work. You don't take your family on a road trip in a prius, that's what the other car is for. Honestly, have you ever seen someone sitting in the back seat of a prius? I have only seen it once. I think if you're going to do something like this, do it right. Make it a small lightweight 2-seater that gets 60mpg instead of a heavy mid-size sedan that gets 45mpg. If they were able to do that, and sell it for $18.5K, then all of a sudden you wouldn't have to wait 7 years for the gas savings to make up for the added cost of the car.

Oh, one other thing that they haven't solved yet to my knowledge; my cousin has a prius for commuting into NYC, and he says that in the winter, the heat in them is absolute garbage since the motor is only running when the batteries get worn down, it doesn't stay running long enough to heat the coolant and therefore heat the car.

·
Full Metal
4,744 Posts
i dunno, once the bug gives up the ghost i'm planning on getting something more fuel efficient in the future, and it will be used for commuting and for transporting the family, the gm gets horrible mpg's. and will only be used in case i need to seat the extended family for a cruise or something. but since it will only be me and the wife and kiddo i think the new insight may be perfect.

·
Registered
7,758 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I think if you're going to do something like this, do it right. Make it a small lightweight 2-seater that gets 60mpg instead of a heavy mid-size sedan that gets 45mpg.
I agree 100%!!! Something like the 1999 to 2006 Honda Insight (48 city/58 highway).... but fugly!! :D

I think the problem is that people won't buy a two seater for those few times a year when they need the back seat. But that is just a guess. I know the older Insights are bringing premium dollars (NADA: 2000 Insight w/110K miles = $7 retail; 2006 Insight w/45K miles = $17K!! :beek:)

·
Like Titles Matter
2,129 Posts
This is ignorant. What they should be doing is building more CNG stations and CNG cars/trucks. The local station here sells CNG for $2.50/gge.

·
Registered
410 Posts
Cng sucks. At work we have some cng cars and talk about gutless. And a fill up only goes for about 100 miles. CNG is the worst in my opinion. I would take a propane powered vehicle over CNG.

·
Registered
2,055 Posts
Another jalopnik reader!

good find!

·
Like Titles Matter
2,129 Posts
Cng sucks. At work we have some cng cars and talk about gutless. And a fill up only goes for about 100 miles. CNG is the worst in my opinion. I would take a propane powered vehicle over CNG.
So you have small fuel tanks and small engined cars, and that means all CNG vehicles suck. I see.

FYI, I've seen CNG cars make 8 second passes. The price isn't tied to oil like LPG is, and it is also far less maintenance than LPG as well.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts