TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,895 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
alright, well with the new adittion of the cowl hood in the group purchases forum, i am now probably at some point add a hood to my thunderbird, that thing is sweet

i do have a question, i hate hood pins on birds, i think they are tacky looking and take away from the lines of the car, is there anyway of securing the hood without having ugly metal pins put threw yourhood? is there like a sneaker hold down?

i have some ideas but they are just ideas at the moment, i have millions of those a day about whats next on my ride, but any help would be apreciated

·
Stroked and Blown
2,395 Posts
When I bought my ram-air hood, they just installed some kind of heavy duty springs to hold it down. ( the springs came with the hood) I've had the car at speeds around 100 and the hood didnt go anywhere yet. The hood may appear to seem like it's gonna fly off......(bouncing and such) but it shouldn't go anywhere.

·
Registered
2,895 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yeah lighter hoods will flap around more, no matter what ya do, my birds hood at speeds doesnt move at all, the maxima i rocked whiles the bird was down with a blown trans, its hood always moved around at speed, it always seemed like it was never latched, what do the springs look like? are they installed at the end opposite the hinges? or at the hinges?

·
Registered
583 Posts
they hood is offered in two varieties in that group purchase.. the pin-on version and the bolt-on version.. from the pics I've seen, the bolt on version has all the bracing needed for the normal latch it keep it in place. I've been told pin-on is bad for normal driving usage, as well.

·
Registered
2,662 Posts
Maybe something like this??? It's not your typical pin sticking through the hood, and offers some security. You could always take and modify the hood a bit to recess them more, and all you would see is the top of the lock. Just paint it body color, and it would probably be pretty smooth.

Jay

·
Dim Bulb
3,499 Posts
bumping an arse-old thread... does anybody have a link or a vendor for the security hood pins/bolts in the post above?

·
Registered
2,662 Posts
1 - 7 of 7 Posts