TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,890 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well as Ive posted before Ive had some bad luck with *******s hitting my car in parking lots and just taking off. My hood is bent a little, and the bondo on the edge is cracked. Also there is some rust coming through now. I havent had any luck finding one in the junk yards so I think Im just gonna try and fix it when the weather gets better along with the latch and cable. What I need to know is could I use tremclad as a first coat on the hood to stop the rust from coming back through? My idea is to use a base of rust paint, then primer and then the car paint. I dont know if this will work, any opinions are welcome. If this is a bad idea Ill just keep looking for a replacement.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Depends on your budget but first I'd suggest getting a new jobber hood. If that's too much, get a good grinder to remove as much putty as possible where it's cracking and to also remove any rust. Try to make the metal as shiny as possible (don't leave rust spots) and get some fiberglass based gel (non fiber if there isn't a hole, fiber is there is a hole). Fiberglass will hold up to water better than bondo will. Block sand everything and as far as paint goes, I'd get automotive metal sealer, some epoxy primer, then paint over it using a color matched paint can. You can get these supplies from an auto parts store. It's a PITA to match the paint with the rest of the hood and paint cans won't allow you too much "room" to make an accurate spray. You could try to wet sand the hood (not an easy task) to try and mate the surfaces...

·
Registered
1,890 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the info. I still have some time to look around for another hood in the wreckers since the weather wont be good enough for another 2 months anyways. Ill see what I can get an after-market replacement for and take it from there.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts