TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Would like to know if the hood shocks wear out. The reason I ask, because twice the hood came down by itself. Now I use a broomstick to prop it up. Are they difficult to replace if they require replacement? Expensive?

·
Registered
6,111 Posts
Oh, yeah, they do...they would BARELY hold the hood up on my old 95 bird, occasionally, it would slowly start to creep downward. They have clearly been changed at some point on my 96 bird because they're real stiff and strong and feel like the ones I Just installed on my trunk.

·
Registered
334 Posts
Would like to know if the hood shocks wear out. The reason I ask, because twice the hood came down by itself. Now I use a broomstick to prop it up. Are they difficult to replace if they require replacement? Expensive?
Yes, they do wear out. I've just replaced mine on my 91 bird sometime within the past 3 months. I just took mine off, (slide a little flathead screwdriver around the metal clip, and pull it out slightly, and that will release the hood support from the hood), and went straight down to my autozone, and got 2 new one's for about $30.00 bucks. Quick and simple change. It's easier if you have a friend to hold the hood up too while you change them. :)

·
Registered
85 Posts
Had to replace both of mine. Picked up a couple new ones from the "Zone" for cheap enough. Kind of miss the old broomstick I carried around to hold the hood up. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
77 Posts
Mine have are practically worn out, the ones on my sister car and my dad's former car both failed. Never have and never did fix them; we just use a broom handle and don't worry. Mine will stay up for varying lengths of time but will eventually let go.

·
Super Moderator
4,925 Posts
Yes, they can wear out.

I replaced both of the hydralic lifts on Sweetie's 1991 Cougar, MAN it makes a difference! No more worry about the hood falling on my head when I sneeze :tongue:

RwP

·
Registered
64 Posts
I had a similar issue with the wifes DD...a 2005 Ford Freestar. The lift supports for the rear went out, and I checked AZ and they wanted almost 50 each, and they had to be special ordered. I grabbed a pair of the exact same ones off of Fleabay for I think $30 shipped. :D

·
Registered
235 Posts
Mine wore out on the hood of my 95 Cougar. After I had the hood hit me in the head for about the 3rd time I went to Advance and bought new ones. I dont want to be putting dents in the hod with my head.

·
Registered
746 Posts
Mine were getting very tired and my hood started dropping so I just decided to replace the hood instead...with a fiberglass one.

:tongue:

·
Registered
3,902 Posts
lol awesome. I just got to the junkyard to get "new" struts.
-Rob

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
When it gets cold, mine don't work very well either. I picked up some from the yard several years back and have had them for some time. Since the car is in the garage all the time, I only have a problem if I leave the car outside for any length of time and then try to work on the engine.

When it's in the garage and I need to work on the engine, I hook a chain to the ceiling and disconnect the shocks and raise the hood up and hook it to the chain. Sure helps when you have to work on the EGR system in the back of the engine by the firewall.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I replaced them today. Very easy install, as long as you have someone to hold up the hood. BTW, I got them from Amazon, at $8.07 each, new, made by Monroe.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts