TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,716 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
...is very nice! Just what I what looking for. Not obnoxious, very throaty on the pedal, quiet idle and cruise. :thumbsup:

I made a cat-back system for my car over the weekend. Had a shop bend up the 3" pipe (super single) using the stock exhaust pipe for the pattern. It fit perfectly, I used the stock hanger mounts, and the 3" center In/Out Hooker AeroChamber sits where the stock resonator used to be....and nothing but pipe the rest of the way. Right now it temporarily ends just aft of the pumpkin, and I'll finish up from there to the bumper either this next weekend or the one after.

Got the muffler from Summit ($72 to my door), and the pipe itself + the bending was $50 from a local guy. Installed and welded up by myself = $0 Labor.

Pics to come, hopefully some kind of soundclip too. I'm very pleased with the sound!:D

·
Registered
1,716 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Here's a pic of the assembly; it's lying upside down and I hadn't put the hangers on it yet for this pic. The guy I got the pipe from left extra on the end for me to work with when I get back to it.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I've always been curious about the Hooker Aerochamber mufflers; I've heard good things about them but never actually heard them. Be sure to make some recordings when you get it on the car.

·
Registered
176 Posts
How much louder would u say it is at idle with this muffler as opposed to stock?

I have been wavering between the aerochamber and the maxflow, looking for a nice rumble at idle but not crazy loud

·
Registered
2,639 Posts
Maxflow will be super quiet, Maxflow is designed to be a super quiet muffler.

·
Registered
1,716 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I've always been curious about the Hooker Aerochamber mufflers; I've heard good things about them but never actually heard them. Be sure to make some recordings when you get it on the car.
I haven't heard anything about them prior. I didn't know a single person using them, so natch I was pretty curious about them as well. Not saying there weren't other choices I liked; there's plenty of good sounding MN12s here. I'll do what I can to get some clips as soon as I can. I don't own a camcorder, and my digicam doesn't do audio on it's little "movie bursts". I'll think of something. But keep in mind that my system isn't complete yet; still need to finish up from pumpkin to bumper. A soundclip @ this point might be somewhat pointless until then.

How much louder would u say it is at idle with this muffler as opposed to stock? I have been wavering between the aerochamber and the maxflow, looking for a nice rumble at idle but not crazy loud
We have rumble. Not a "look at me" loud, but a bit louder than stock. It certainly doesn't do the "blub blub blub" at idle like a lot of V8 exhaust systems I've heard. It's smooth, deep, very muscular with no annoying (to me) cackles, barks, blubs, blats, etc.

·
Banned
754 Posts
I haven't heard anything about them prior. I didn't know a single person using them, so natch I was pretty curious about them as well. Not saying there weren't other choices I liked; there's plenty of good sounding MN12s here. I'll do what I can to get some clips as soon as I can. I don't own a camcorder, and my digicam doesn't do audio on it's little "movie bursts". I'll think of something. But keep in mind that my system isn't complete yet; still need to finish up from pumpkin to bumper. A soundclip @ this point might be somewhat pointless until then.

We have rumble. Not a "look at me" loud, but a bit louder than stock. It certainly doesn't do the "blub blub blub" at idle like a lot of V8 exhaust systems I've heard. It's smooth, deep, very muscular with no annoying (to me) cackles, barks, blubs, blats, etc.
I love that blub blub blub at idle :)

I do get the popping though when I rev it up and it comes down. what is that anyway?

·
Registered
1,716 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
I do get the popping though when I rev it up and it comes down. what is that anyway?
IIRC, it's something about flow pockets forming when the throttle blade(s) snap shut on an engine returning from higher RPMs....but it's been awhile on those theories so it's a pretty fuzzy guess. lol (I could very well be not even in the same ballpark)

·
Banned
754 Posts
what are they.... I've never heard of those before, or maybe I just haven't heard that terminology?!

and just what exactly does that have to do with the price of peas in paraguay anyway....hmmmmmm....!!!

·
Registered
1,716 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
what are they.... I've never heard of those before, or maybe I just haven't heard that terminology?!
I'm guessing you know what they are but never heard of them called that. They're the actual "valve" (or "valves" if you have more than one. ie., a 4 barrel carb has four) located in the throttle body or carb baseplate that controls the throttle; your accelerator pedal controls this directly.

·
Registered
367 Posts
i used to have some on my car, cats were gutted and had a home x pipe, with true duals, and muffles out back it was pretty quite, then i desided to cut of the outlet and weld on some 3 1/2 inch pipe it was alot louder and sounded real good, these mufflers have more of a rumble to them than other mufflers, they dont have the cackel like some other brands, i like them i think that i'm going to use them on my new set up when i built my new motorm i think i'm gonna use a h pipe this time with the kook headers.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts