TCCoA Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I ordered an amp off of Crutchfield tonight, and figured I'd get ahead of myself by starting up on my reading now, only to find that there is no how-to on wiring an amp. I searched the forums, but found nothing. Is there one? I'd like to see that what I am doing is the right way, because I now if I have no instructions... I will probably break the car. :)

Thanks!
- Rick

·
Registered
1,731 Posts
I'll help you out as much as possible here:

1)Disconnect the battery, run amp wire from battery through ethier the steering shaft gromet or drill a hole in the fire wall to run it through, make sure you seal the hole after your done so the out side elements dont get in your car. Be sure to take the fuse out of the fuse holder before you hook the wire up to the battery or you will have 1 nice problem waiting to happen.

Run it down the drivers side under all the moldings and under the carpet. Remove the back seat bottom(push the cushion back and lift up from the front). Now you have the choice to remove the seat back (2 bolts and lift up) or leaving it in and wigeling your hand under it, I suggest removing it makes the job 100x easier.

2)Find a good place in the trunk to run the ground wire to (clean paint free surface) you could sand the paint off and clean it up if you cant find one suitable. MAKE SURE ITS TIGHT AND CLEAN (dirty minds need not comment lol).

3) Run your rca cables from the radio to the amp (use good cables or you will get noise like I had issues with) see the thread it never ends... , anyway run them down the passanger side (opposite side of power cable) to the amp location in the trunk. At the same time you will want to run your remote wire (turns the amp on when the radio powers on (usually blue wire on the harness sometimes its the blue and white wire)

4) wire your sub to correct ohms of the amp, 2, 4, what ever the stable load is on the amp. Run the wires from the sub to the hook ups inside the box, pay attention to the side thats + and - and remember that when you run the wires from your amp channel so you do not mix them up. Mount the sub in the box and connect it to the amp , mount the box to prevent it from sliding around and pulling on your wires. Put the fuse back in by the battery and start the car, tune your amp and your sub controls (in the HU if there are any) and enjoy.

MUCH EASIER then speakers lol. Good luck, Jon.

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
Just a quick tip for your ground wire; the bolts holding down the backrest of the back seat make an excellent grounding point. Autozone has a good selection of the large diameter ring terminals you'll need. Just be sure to do a light sanding of the sheetmetal where you connect the ground and put some lithium or similar over the connection to stop rust.

·
Registered
2014 Escape SE 2.0 AWD
7,557 Posts

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It's for a sub, but I also got some speakers for the interior. Crutchfield is actually sending connectors to just plug the speakers right into the factory harness. I think I'll eventually rewire the speakers, but for now, this is good.

Thanks a lot for the help!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.