TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I saw the show yesterday, and they made a few improvements, then dynoed it making only 19 more rwhp(from 166 rwhp to 185 rwhp). They seemed to kind of gloss over that part quickly at the end. Anyways, these are the changes they made...

-new mandrel-bent cat-back exhaust
-underdrive pullies from Mr. Gasket :)confused: )
-MSD ignition box
-cold air intake kit

-upgraded brake rotors
-new control arms
-new 17" wheels and tires.

From what I can tell, they spent hundreds, maybe thousands of dollars, but only 19 more actual horses? Did anyone else see the show and is that a normal gain for the mods they did? l8!

·
Registered
615 Posts
if those were there mods 19 rwhp is pretty good I would say, considering the only things giving them mere power is exhaust, pullies and CAI. I doubt the ignition box makes any power on a na motor.

·
Moderator, Red Sox Nation Rabid Fan, TCCoAAC Found
3,165 Posts
5.0's dont need much man, get rid of those bottlenecks and they flow...

·
Registered
7,758 Posts
Did they mention if they did the "free" power improvers (Timing, tune-up, filters, etc.)?

I know there is a good amount of power to be found just in those things (especially the timing). :D

IMHO:
-new mandrel-bent cat-back exhaust = most of the hp/tq gain
-underdrive pullies from Mr. Gasket = some hp/tq gain
-MSD ignition box = no hp/tq gain, but better efficiency
-cold air intake kit = no hp/tq gain unless it included tubes all the way to the TB

I would also like to see the "area under the curve". Even though those numbers may seem small considering the expense, the overall curve may have been greatly improved (which is what I suspect is the case with the cat-back system). :thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
94 Daily Driven 4.6L said:
Did they mention if they did the "free" power improvers (Timing, tune-up, filters, etc.)?
No, I didn't hear them talk about that. They did talk about possible fuel system mods(higher flowing fuel-pump, injectors, etc.), but I don't think they actually installed those.
-cold air intake kit = no hp/tq gain unless it included tubes all the way to the TB
Yes, it was from the MAF to the TB topped off with a cotton gauze cone filter. I'm don't recall exactly, but they may have also replaced the throttle body with a bigger "Mr. Gasket" TB.
jordansypek said:
5.0's dont need much man, get rid of those bottlenecks and they flow...
I'm sorry, I assumed it was a 4.6 motor. Thinking back, I thought that intake looked kind of funny for a 4.6. Oh well, move this topic to the 5.0 forum. hehe

·
Moderator, Iowa Chapter Director, Uber Luber, TCCo
8,978 Posts
4point6r0x0rz said:
.I'm sorry, I assumed it was a 4.6 motor. Thinking back, I thought that intake looked kind of funny for a 4.6. Oh well, move this topic to the 5.0 forum. hehe
94-95 stangs were 5.0 AODE.

·
Moderator, Iowa Chapter Director, Uber Luber, TCCo
8,978 Posts
mn12xr7 said:
i agree, 19 additional rwhp is a good number. Some long tubes would help out a bit

with stock heads and cam? I cant see longtubes making much power on stock heads. Especially 5.0 heads.
-Thomas

·
Registered
364 Posts
They would also lose HP from the Bigger brake rotors, even if they are lighter. same with the rums and rubber. might weight more. They should have done the motor work then dyno then do the driveline stuff for fun...

·
Whining Intakes Rock
3,645 Posts
I just like their shop. I'd like to have enough room to have a basketball game AND dyno my car too! :tongue:

·
Registered
78 Posts
I watch Horsepower TV and I like what they do but it makes me wonder what is the cost $ per hp? Whether it is a TV show or any one of us doing the work. We all spend our money the way we want but it seems as though the cost of some hp is more for some work then it is for others. Example: Does a CAI provide the power that it costs? But does a CAI system and a chip provide more value? I am not putting ANY down on this, but merely asking the questions. Frankly, it would help me a bunch to understand where to put the first money into a car regarding the best power per dollar spent. Of course the j-mod is priority 1 with a tranny cooler, but I also have found that the oil filter relocation is a close second. Neither make it faster but does make it a little better.

·
Registered
397 Posts
Well the theory behind the j-mod is that it makes you shift faster, thereby reducing your ET, right? So would ET reduction per dollar be a better standard? But then, a lot of stuff works with each other, so if you got an intake and it barely made a difference, and then you get a freer-flowing exhaust and your HP shoots up, how do you know it's based solely on the exhaust and not the combination of the 2? You can't accurately judge the horsepower gain on the exhaust unless you switch the intake back to stock, which would be ludicrous.
Basically what it comes to is all cars are money pits. Just try and match your parts as best you can and throw money at it till it's as fast as you want.
Horsepower TV is good entertainment, but they put whatever the sponsers donate to them on the cars, not necessarily the parts that are the best or most cost-effective. I wouldn't follow by their example.

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
hstang said:
Stock 5.0 mustangs pick up 20 hp all day long from longtubes.
20hp from just long tube headers.......Not in a million years!

To tell you guys the truth, the real bottle neck on that engine is the intake manifold. The upper will flow an average of about 175cfm (about 185-190cfm on 87-93 models), which isn't great for a car with modest bolt ons, but the lowers....at an average of 130cfm is a cork! The stock E7TE heads are bad too, but theintake is the real killer! I bet the pulleys made (saved) the most power on that car. I can't see the cat back being worth much more than about 4-7hp, considering that it's the H-Pipe that's the real restrictor in the exhaust. And I wouldn't think the CAI made more than 1-2.

·
Registered
78 Posts
You are right about the project being a package deal and then a time consuming one at that, but fun just the same. These forums are great for sharing info and well as opinions.

·
Registered
709 Posts
Yeah the Mustangs are 5.0 litres untill 1996 when they went to the 4.6 we all know and love. But I swear they supercharged this one black convertable and they kept calling it a 94 or something... but I swear it was a 4.6 in there! Either they swaped a 4.6 in there, are calling it the wrong year, or I'm just on crack! Anyone else see this stang?? They did brakes on it in one episode and the SC in another.

Jake

1 - 16 of 16 Posts