TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
414 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all

Can anyone here tell me which of the 3 hot air furnaces is the most reliable and what would you recommend. The brands that i got proposals on are Carrier, Trane and Rheem/Rudd. If anyone can help me i would greatly appreciate it as this is a very big expense and i need something that won't break down in the winter. Thank you in an advance for any help, insight you can provide.

·
PostSlut
13,597 Posts
Well Trane/American Standard come from here in Tyler Texas. Veryy good stuff. Carrier makes an excellent unit as well.
stay away from Rheem/Rudd.

Out of those 2, you will not be dissapointed.
I myself would go with the Trane, as they have proven(in my line of work), to outlast all the rest, and breakdowns are not as common(read: compressor failure).

now with that said, either furnace from either manufacturer are very good as well....I would flip a coin(if that was all I was replacing), for either one as far as furnace's go.
But if it was the whole system, I would go with Trane.

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
We had a Trane Heat Pump and that POS only lasted 7 years. I'll never buy a thing made by Trane again.

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
Check out Consumer Reports. I've had an Armstrong for 5 years now and the only thing that went wrong is the flame sensor needed cleaning. Even if it needed replacement, it's a $20 part and takes 2 minutes to change.

·
Registered
2,634 Posts
I had to replace my furnace in 2010 just after i bought my house in SF. Thankfully, Obama was spending all kind of "stimulus" money so I think I received $1500 back.

Since I needed heat only (it's SF -- if you want A/C you just open up a window since there are no bugs that will fly in and try to eat you), I went with the cheapest furnace that would

Fraser-Johnson w/ an AFUE of 95.5%
Total cost to install including all new ducting to the main level (6 vents) $4,650.

Related brands: YORK, Luxaire, Moncrief, Winchester, Coleman-Evcon, AirPro, Red T. Also known in the past as Central Environmenal Systems. York was purchased by Johnson Controls in 2005.

It was tiny compared to the gravity/well furnace that was there before.
No complaints after 2 years.
-g

·
Registered
414 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks to everyone for all of the info. I am leaning towards the trane due to the fact that the heat exchanger is warranted for lifetime. The carrier i think is only 20 years and i will be in this house forever. They both carrier the basic parts warranty which is 5 years. Unfourtanetly in my situation it will cost me 6500 bucks. They vent these things through the wall since it is a 96 percent efficient unit and will be replacing 2 old thatcher furnaces which was eating my wallet like crazy. Once again thanks for all the input.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts