TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today I installed high flow cats on my 90 sc and after the install i looked under the car before the rest of the exhaust was put on and the right converter is getting red hot on the inside. What could this be. Could a engine run rich on just one side. the other side is fine.. Thanks for any help..:confused:

·
5,650 Posts
So the converter is brand new and it was red hot while the engine was running? Was this happening with the old converter on that same side? If so, the engine would have to be running SUPER rich to achieve that. The only conditions I could think of would be one or more injectors that are hung open or one or more plugs that are consistently missing on that side of the engine. The unburned fuel goes to the converter and is there ignited after the temps get high enough. After a while, the converter begins glowing red. You'd most likely be able to tell though if an injector or plug wasn't working right because it would run like crap. Now if this didn't happen before, my guess would be that during the install, the plug wires and/or wiring to the injectors on that side of the engine got messed up or the converter is bad. For the converter to be bad, I would guess that it is clogged up. This is interesting. I've never heard of this with a brand new converter.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
hot converter

I dont know if it was getting hot on the old converters, im restoring the car and i took it apart a long time ago, but i did take the coverter back off and the pipe inside was black it looks as if it is running rich. Also when i start the car it takes a while to get it to idle on its own i have to keep it reved for bout a min. or so. thanks for the info
some pics of the car:) http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2406364

·
5,650 Posts
kevin_sc90 said:
I dont know if it was getting hot on the old converters, im restoring the car and i took it apart a long time ago, but i did take the coverter back off and the pipe inside was black it looks as if it is running rich. Also when i start the car it takes a while to get it to idle on its own i have to keep it reved for bout a min. or so.
Every gasoline car is going to have black carbon inside of the exhaust pipes. Even the cleanest running one will. It's the result of combustion, so don't jump too quick at the thought that the car may be running too rich. It is probably perfectly normal, especially since the cars are commanded to run rich when they are cold to help bring the engine and converter to operating temps.

If the car is having problems idleing, check for vacuum leaks. Also, makes sure your plugs and wires are in good condition and properly routed. Then check the distributor cap and rotor for any cracks or excess carbon buildup and replace if they aren't ok. If everything there is fine, try cleaning the MAF sensor. If that doesn't fix it, your IAC is probably in need of replacement.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts