TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
This may be a dumb question but...in the video he removes and does not replace the springs. In the JMod thesis it seems like only the 2-3 springs get completely removed and for 1-2 the top spring is left in unless you are making big power. What is the result of going one way or the other?

·
Administrator
8,216 Posts
Who is going to do it, you or a shop? Tranny in the car or out?

I had no transmission experience when I did my first one and it took me 5 hours, clean up and lunch break included! :tongue:

Joe

·
Registered
251 Posts
im having a shop do it. the reason im asking is because they are charging me 2400 to rebuild my trans and do this jmod which they acted like they barely knew what i was talking about and then later called me and said yeah this is the price and it includes the update for these transmission. im like wait 2400 for a rebuild wtf. needless to say im aggravated.

·
Registered
2,924 Posts
This may be a dumb question but...in the video he removes and does not replace the springs. In the JMod thesis it seems like only the 2-3 springs get completely removed and for 1-2 the top spring is left in unless you are making big power. What is the result of going one way or the other?
Read this
http://www.tccoa.com/articles/tranny/transmission/page3.shtml

IIRC, the accumulator must fill up with fluid before the piston moves and the transmission shifts.
The springs resist these piston movement and therefore fluid accumulation. No springs = faster but more uncomfortable shifting. Larger diameter holes also increase the rate of fluid transfer.

You don't want to throw out all the springs in the 1-2.

·
Registered
251 Posts
After further research I believe I may be getting charge the right price. Assuming these people are doing the correct job. I looked up why a rebuild is more expensive. I see now that a rebuild would last longer than buying another stock transmission which would just wear out again

·
Super Moderator
12,551 Posts
Yes. It's a highly recommended transmission upgrade.

·
Registered
1,924 Posts
Loved it on my 95, not so much on Brenda's 96 as it made it shift at 4k WOT. But it was her car, and she didn't go WOT much. My 95 still shifts at 5200 WOT.

I don't think I am going to do it on my 97. Don't want to have to buy a tune to restore a 5000-5200 shift point. Some of us have a stock car otherwise, and don't need a tune.

Al

·
Registered
7,062 Posts
I did it on my CrownVic here recently. 3rd is still sluggish...

But cleaned up everything else.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts