TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
741 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, here's the story.

My dad's 2001 Intrepid is a real beater - and it's had the CEL on for several months now.

On Saturday, a would-be thief attempted to steal it from my driveway. HE was unsuccessful - all he did was pull the trim from underneath the steering column and leave a wire dangling off with the plastic connector taken off.

I call the police, they came, filled out their paperwork, etc. etc., and they asked me to start the car. It started just fine.

My parents were out of town for a while and they only just got back yesterday. My dad went to leave for work this morning and his car wouldn't start. He took my Thunderbird. When he got home, I decided to try and jump his car. It worked.

I then decide it's time to get his CEL scanned. I bring it to the local AutoZone where I realize that the wire that had been left dangling was the PCM connector. The AutoZone "tech" tried to scan it anyway. It didn't work. I started the car and drive about 1/4 of a mile away when I realized that (a) the shift indicator had all of the lights lit up, and (b) the car isn't shifting out of first gear. I turned around, drove back and asked the guy if there was anything he could do. He said no.

So I drove it back to my house, and maybe halfway home, I noticed that, suddenly, the speedo/odo had also stopped working.

Does anyone have any idea what the hell could've happened?

As of now, I left the car sitting in the driveway with the battery disconnected.

·
Registered
741 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
maybe reconnect the dangling wire??
Dangling wire ended up just being the PCM connector, see above. Nothing critical.

Anyway, I figured it out, it's fixed (mostly). Still have to fix the PCM connector - I need to get my hands on a wiring diagram and figure out which pins go to which slots in the plastic end.

·
Super Moderator
12,245 Posts
Dangling wire ended up just being the PCM connector, see above. Nothing critical.

Anyway, I figured it out, it's fixed (mostly).

Still have to fix the PCM connector - I need to get my hands on a wiring diagram and figure out which pins go to which slots in the plastic end.
:confused:

So what did you do to fix it???

·
Registered
741 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Burned out 10A fuse controlling the Transmission control and gauges. That's all.

I still don't know why the CEL is on (or has been on for the last several months), and can't check because the PCM connector is busted.

A little aside about the car thief, too - he also tried to steal my neighbors' minivan. Apparently, he couldn't get it done, but he did leave something behind - his wallet on their front lawn!

Unfortunately, though, the kid (he was 19 and a high school drop out) is getting away with it. No one saw him do it, and his wallet being on the lawn next to a car with the door open and the steering column opened up, while suspicious, doesn't prove he did anything wrong. The only thing the cops went to hassle him for was the fake ID he had in his wallet.

·
Registered
474 Posts
When I had my Trep, I went here. I didnt talk too much but I know there are people that have done everything from motor swaps, to turbos. (Sort of like here but for intrepids) Just go there and tell them what happened. I am sure they can help.

·
Registered
740 Posts
Unfortunately, though, the kid (he was 19 and a high school drop out) is getting away with it. No one saw him do it, and his wallet being on the lawn next to a car with the door open and the steering column opened up, while suspicious, doesn't prove he did anything wrong. The only thing the cops went to hassle him for was the fake ID he had in his wallet.
What about all the aforementioned, along with his FINGERPRINTS on everyones stuff?
Or, were the police too enept to even think about dusting for the little $h!thead's prints?

·
Registered
741 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Nope, we asked them to dust for fingerprints. The officer on the scene called up the detectives who said, "Unless there was a felony committed, we don't dust cars for prints."

Really nice, right?

·
Registered
740 Posts
Hmmm.....sounds like a severe case of "Coppus not wantus to do jobbus". He more than likely just lied to your face an account of he didn't want to do the paperwork on the case. A friend of mine's wrecker just got broken into in front of my apt. last week. Granted, they didn't get much, (They left the radios and keys on the dash alone, yet swiped the owner's manual) an officer DID print the vehicle. BMV (Burglary Motor Vehicle) here is a misdemeanor, but the Sheriff's Office still does thier job. I'm glad I don't live up there in NY, otherwise I'd prolly get my ass landed in jail on trumped charges after telling one of those lazy-assed cops off.

·
Pedal Faster
2,658 Posts
As for Auto Zone: there was never one in my town, but I heard stories about how incompetent they are. My roommate has an '02 Sunfire and the CEL came on, so he went to "the 'Zone" and they tried to scan it, but got nothing back and pretty much flat-told him, "Your ECM is bad."

Not long after that, we discovered the fuel cap wasn't on all the way. Light went off. Auto Zone= lame x 10^10.

·
Registered
7,557 Posts
Hmmm.....sounds like a severe case of "Coppus not wantus to do jobbus". He more than likely just lied to your face an account of he didn't want to do the paperwork on the case. A friend of mine's wrecker just got broken into in front of my apt. last week. Granted, they didn't get much, (They left the radios and keys on the dash alone, yet swiped the owner's manual) an officer DID print the vehicle. BMV (Burglary Motor Vehicle) here is a misdemeanor, but the Sheriff's Office still does thier job. I'm glad I don't live up there in NY, otherwise I'd prolly get my ass landed in jail on trumped charges after telling one of those lazy-assed cops off.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts