Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,848 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What has tore this club apart before?

What it all boils down to is negativity, pessimism, and malicious attitudes, words and actions towards other members.

Now there was an incident earlier where a fairly new member (suspected new based on post count, correct me if I'm wrong) posted some pictures showing his Cougar to the other members. No text content even in the message, but due to the words he chose for his subject, someone disagreed on them being used here (and let it be known they were in no way derogatory or harmful words) and proceeded to flame and bash the guy for speaking the way he chose.

Now last time I checked, the English language is made of many languages, and today in the 20 and 21st century America and other progressive cultures are constantly making / forming new phrases and catchwords. Many words you wouldn't even think of as being a form of ebonics any longer, aren't because they became used more and more. To rip into someone because of this, clearly shows you're inability to accept that culture and social order is constantly changing and evolving.

Would everyone please try not to be so negative towards each other, and for all those who seem to have a problem with it, just ignore it and move on. Sometimes I just think people are looking for a reaction by replying and criticizing someone.

I'm done now.

-J

·
Registered
575 Posts
i agree...

and sorry for being negative!! lol, seriously, people lighten up. this is supposed to be fun. relax, learn and educate. what do you bring to the table??
michael

·
Registered
2,894 Posts
Who flamed the newbie? Aren't newbies flamable anyway? I was blasted a couple of times back in July.

I think the point was simply that if you want a response to a post, it has to be understandable to all. This is a board for information exchange. If we don't speak a common lingo, then it all goes to he!!.

I can't speak for others, but for me, it is nothing to do with alienation but has to do with effective communication.

Ludacris=Pop artist
Ludicrous=~ridiculous, unbelievable
(sorry, had to point that one out) ;)

Brad

·
Administrator
4,161 Posts
There was NO negativity meant toward the person or his car. What he did though was the equivalent to posting in Russian or Czech or Swedish. It made sense to only a VERY small number of people. The primary foundation of this board is communication. But when communication is all but eliminated by a (dare I say) language barrier, what do we have left? Nothing.

I can't see why this is so hard to comprehend. We had a very lengthy and well commented thread just a day or two ago about how bad it has gotten in this country with all the people who speak foreign languages wanting things made custom for them. That's just not what we're all about. And the VAST majority of American people feel that way. Nothing is different here.

I hate negativity. I don't practice it. I don't condone it. But I also cannot stand by and let naivety and ignorance run rampant. We have customs and rules to maintain commnication and order. Without respect for those and the enforcement thereof we have what we all don't want....anarchy.

·
Registered
1,848 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Sir William said:
There was NO negativity meant toward the person or his car. What he did though was the equivalent to posting in Russian or Czech or Swedish. It made sense to only a VERY small number of people. The primary foundation of this board is communication. But when communication is all but eliminated by a (dare I say) language barrier, what do we have left? Nothing.

I can't see why this is so hard to comprehend. We had a very lengthy and well commented thread just a day or two ago about how bad it has gotten in this country with all the people who speak foreign languages wanting things made custom for them. That's just not what we're all about. And the VAST majority of American people feel that way. Nothing is different here.

I hate negativity. I don't practice it. I don't condone it. But I also cannot stand by and let naivety and ignorance run rampant. We have customs and rules to maintain commnication and order. Without respect for those and the enforcement thereof we have what we all don't want....anarchy.
How was there no negativity by saying his speech is "stupid," inform me on how that isn't negative. Remember we are who we are because of these people, unless you are a true immigrant, which I doubt very few here are. You forget we are the melting post (stew) of the world, and accepting one way or idea is unhuman. Anyways, lets get back to the point, just by him posting pictures you knew by the first two words what he was talking about, even if you didn't know what rizzle / rizzy meant. Peep mah, just sound it out; in a way this is like that one time that you misunderstood that guy talking about tire height / ratios, and you slammed him because you didn't understand and told him to not pass on wrong information, look Bill just because YOU do not understand it, doesn't mean the other 1% of the population doesn't.

Let's not let our ego get in the way here, and if you feel so inclined to get the last word in this thread, feel free to NOT lock it after doing so.

·
Administrator
4,161 Posts
There is no ego involved whatsoever. I 100% believe that we should REQUIRE inhabitants and especially citizens to have at LEAST a working knowledge of the English language. We are the best country on the planet. There are a lot more people out there in other lands who'd rather move here than stay where they are. Learning OUR language should not be problem. Either you do it or go/stay home.

The ONLY place I think we should have foreign language signs are in places that teach English to those who don't speak it.

We carry little translator books when we go visit them. They don't expect us to learn their language unless we move there. We should only be the same.

·
Registered
1,848 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Sir William said:
There is no ego involved whatsoever. I 100% believe that we should REQUIRE inhabitants and especially citizens to have at LEAST a working knowledge of the English language. We are the best country on the planet. There are a lot more people out there in other lands who'd rather move here than stay where they are. Learning OUR language should not be problem. Either you do it or go/stay home.

The ONLY place I think we should have foreign language signs are in places that teach English to those who don't speak it.

We carry little translator books when we go visit them. They don't expect us to learn their language unless we move there. We should only be the same.
Please quit showing ignorance.

We immigrated here, we didn't immigrate there; no resemblence. You are also wrong in your way of thinking here. To think that if a large percentage of the US market tried to move over into France/England/Japan that we wouldn't impact their market to provide signs in our language is just plain ignorance.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Deje por favor la ignorancia que muestra.

Inmigramos aquí, nosotros no inmigramos allí; ningún resemblence. Usted es también injusticia en su manera de pensador aquí. Para pensar que si un porcentaje grande del NOSOTROS vendemos trató de moverse en la Francia/Inglaterra/Japón que nosotros no impresionaríamos su mercado para proporcionar los signos en nuestro idioma son la ignorancia apenas simple.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Hören Sie bitte auf, Unwissenheit zu zeigen.

Wir haben hier, wir dort nicht eingewandert haben eingewandert; kein resemblence. Sie sind auch falsch auf Ihrer Weise, hier zu denken. Zu denken, daß wenn ein großes Prozent vom UNS auf den Markt bringen, versucht hat, über in Frankreich/England/Japan zu bewegen, daß wir bei ihrem Markt nicht einschlagen würden, Schilder in unserer Sprache zu versorgen, nur einfache Unwissenheit ist.

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
I have no idea what any of you are talking about, but I do despise a few things... Bad english, Ricer speak (Ric3r l0gic), IgNoRaNcE... Personally, I think that when people fail to make a minimal effort to be somewhat grammatically correct, or at least use REAL words, they mis-represent all of us. I don't want some random dude posting a link to our site in another because some dude did something stupid like:

"I put da tire wax on the tread, yo! It was mad tight!"

Suddenly, all T-Bird owners are dumbass ricers.

If we promote dumb expression, dumb action is sure to follow. I have never heard a smart person talk like a "choad."

There was an instance on the rx7club forums when this dude posted pics of his convertible second gen. You know what his subject line was?

"Sick Fu-k convertible Part 1"

He had FIVE of these posts! Nobody deleted them. Although, I do want to say that people ripped him a new one, since it was obvious that the guy was a dumbass.

If my opinion makes me a pessimist, so be it. I know the difference between dialects and stupidity. Most of the crap I see posted is stupidity-- not a "different culture."

PJ

·
Registered
2,894 Posts
okcbird said:

Anyways, lets get back to the point, just by him posting pictures you knew by the first two words what he was talking about, even if you didn't know what rizzle / rizzy meant. Peep mah, just sound it out;
I believe that most understood the "peep mah" part. It's just the "rizzy" that :confused: .

I'm asking myself "Is a Rizzy that sunscreen, or the cougar itself, or the cougar emblem or his tint, or what? Is there something specific that we are supposed to check out?". No big deal if you don't mind people who don't bother to "peep his rizzy" because it is a pain to understand many posts on the board. Some I really try hard to understand, but just give up and hit the Back button.

(Language alert: Immigrate=To enter a new country.
Emmigrate=Leave one's country for another.)

It's just not feasible to operate a message forum in multiple languages, let alone various dialects.

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
Yeah, I'm pretty much a tight-*** like that. I guess I need to see the full side of this glass. The internet is non-discriminatory. People from all walks of life can interact on it... Dr. Wankel with his PhD can post while it appears that babies are now starting their own threads!! Anyways... About the immigrants... it honestly frustrates me too. I lived 9 years of my life overseas, and I adapted... I learned how to speak Spanish and Portuguese fluently. Not everybody takes the effort, though.

Especially in So. Arizona and CA, you can see how bad some of the immigration problems are. It is a problem when drivers can't read traffic signs or simple directions. Since there are so many Mexican immigrants, many of them feel enabled and are satisfied with being able to isolate themselves in their spanish-speaking communities without feeling the need to learn english. They have spanish TV, spanish radio, spanish newspapers... Time would fix these issues, since young first generation latino youths speak more English than Spanish, but they are immigrating too fast for their own good. Ghettos literally self-form because of their voluntary isolation from the English-speaking communities. Heck on Spanish TV I see stand-up comedy skits (a traditionally American invention) which poke fun at US border policies saying things like: "We're taking our country back, one illegal immigrant at a time!" The sad part is that all of the audiences laughed and found it funny.

The US is TOO accomodating. There has to be a cap for people's liberties. I say language is over the line. Not that I agree with the French, but they have a department dedicated to the preservation of French Language/culture... Many American films aren't even allowed to play over there because of their ability to "dissolve" French ideals. Now, I'd think that that is pretty extreme. Or maybe are Americans too passive? Aren't we proud of our culture, or is our culture just a melting pot?

I still don't see why people don't write in correct English on boards. I bet that many kids who post in slang, or ghetto jargon, or whatever, don't know how to spell half of the words they use. I see it ALL the time: "For shure; true duels, etc." Much of it can be blamed on media, which portrays the problem, yet perpetuates it. "Linkin Park, Xhibit, r-e-s-p-e-c-K, 'Lemme axe you a question..." And so on.

Ah, whatever... I'm just a biggot. I guess I should end the tangent.

PJ

·
Cougar Pilot
3,443 Posts
soop said:
No big deal if you don't mind people who don't bother to "peep his rizzy" because it is a pain to understand many posts on the board. Some I really try hard to understand, but just give up and hit the Back button.
Totally gotta agree with Soop here

...I guess 'gotta' could be understand for some folks too. I wasn't sure what a 'rizzy' was either 'til I clicked. I knew it's not a Cougar term... But then Snoop came to mind. Yeah it must mean ride. Even if it had said "look at my ride" some people might be scratching their heads wondering what a ride is.

·
Registered
6,220 Posts
soop said:

I believe that most understood the "peep mah" part. It's just the "rizzy" that :confused: .
I guess im not part of the 'most' because i didnt understand that either.

anyway, this is america, we speak english here, if you dont feel the need to learn the language, i dont feel the need to let you live in this country, simple as that, LEARN THE LANGUAGE OR GO BACK TO WHEREVER YOU CAME FROM. why is it that when americans go to a forign country the people of that country expect that person to adapt to their cultrure not for them to adapt to the american. the us is way to adapting to other people thats the biggest problem with this country, its bassackwards. the people comming into the country need to adapt. take for example, not sure if it was this board or a different one, the lady in fl that didnt want to take her scarff off to take her drivers license picture she said it was against some belief that she had, thats total BULL ####, if you want a florida drivers license you have to be like everyother person in this country get you picture taken without a hat, scarf headwear anything, isnt the reason for a photo id to be able to see what you look like???? thats total crap that florida let here get away with that.

the us gov needs to get their heads out of their asses and fix our country before we go trying to fix other countrys, we have no right to try to stop the wars in the middle east that have been going on for generations, we need to fix the crap thats going on here first.

to be continued...

·
Administrator
14,208 Posts
VicRattlehead said:
the us gov needs to get their heads out of their asses and fix our country before we go trying to fix other countrys, we have no right to try to stop the wars in the middle east that have been going on for generations, we need to fix the crap thats going on here first.
Amen to that.

Step 1) Kill all Lawyers that have defended an idiot.
Step 2) ...
Step 3) Profit.

·
Administrator
14,208 Posts
okcbird said:
Once again, topic got off topic. Let's just all try not to criticize or demean others.

Topic done.

Lock this Vic.
Not Vic's forum, but topic is locked as requested.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.