66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
COMP Cams
Product Line: COMP Cams Xtreme Energy Camshafts
Cam Style: Hydraulic roller tappet
Basic Operating RPM Range: 2,200-6,200 RPM
Intake Duration at 050 inch Lift: 224
Exhaust Duration at 050 inch Lift: 232
Duration at 050 inch Lift: 224 int./232 exh.
Advertised Intake Duration: 274
Advertised Exhaust Duration: 282
Advertised Duration: 274 int./282 exh.
Intake Valve Lift with Factory Rocker Arm Ratio: 0.555 in.
Exhaust Valve Lift with Factory Rocker Arm Ratio: 0.565 in.
Valve Lift with Factory Rocker Arm Ratio: 0.555 int./0.565 exh. lift
Lobe Separation (degrees): 112
Intake Valve Lash: 0.000 in.
Exhaust Valve Lash: 0.000 in.
Computer Controlled Compatible: Yes
Grind Number: FW XE274HR-12

·
Registered
825 Posts
thats kinda big:eek: hope you got some good springs might strech the timing chain a bit.

·
Premium Member
2,725 Posts
The cam would 'sound' fine but you will be missing a little vacuum and unless you really want to spend all of you time as a streetlight racer (and by that i mean butt giggling lope) I would go a little more 'tame'. Also if that is really your choice for cams you best start saving now for a torque converter too. You will need it to get the sled moving. (ps what did you have planned for an intake?)

·
Registered
76 Posts
Cam

The more inches you put under it the better it'll work... I've run that cam in several 400" Windsors I've built and it works awesome there. In a 302, however, it'll have some pretty nasty street manners.... In a 302 I'd go with a 218/224 cam at biggest, unless you're planning on running high compression... You're usually better off with a cam that's a bit small than a cam that's too big... Leads to a lazy feeling car the runs OK on the top end but suffers everywhere else.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Its going in my 88gt with Victor heads(190cc runner 2.02/1.60 valves),victor jr inake, 650 holley, 5 speed, and 4:10 gears. and the compression dials in at about 10:1

·
Registered
161 Posts
It'll make good power. The power band will be like 4800-7800 on a 302 cubic inch engine.
You think that cam will make power that high in the RPM band? I'd think you'd need a bigger cam to be making much power over 7k. Plus it's a hydraulic roller so valve float is gonna start be an issue once you get over 6500.

·
Motorboatin' SOB, Headlight Cleaning Guru
6,912 Posts
no way a 302 will spin to 7800, let alone without the supporting internals. the cam alone doesnt determine how high the engine will spin. solid rollers can probably spin that high safely.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Rpm

I took a straight scale from the 408's I've done with that cam that ran to 6500 before nosing over... 75% of the cubic inches (302 versus 408) means more RPM to utilize the same cam. 25% more RPM to attain the same airflow would put it at roughly 7800 RPM... It's a rudimentary way to look at it but you get the idea... I said nothing about the internals supporting that RPM, just that you'd need to spin it pretty high to utilize the cam itself.... With a hydraulic roller it will not make it to 7800 either, I wasn't really addressing that either, just looking at the cam operating range given the cubic inches under it....

·
Registered
1,143 Posts

·
Registered
892 Posts
COMP Cams
Product Line: COMP Cams Xtreme Energy Camshafts
Cam Style: Hydraulic roller tappet
Basic Operating RPM Range: 2,200-6,200 RPM
Intake Duration at 050 inch Lift: 224
Exhaust Duration at 050 inch Lift: 232
Duration at 050 inch Lift: 224 int./232 exh.
Advertised Intake Duration: 274
Advertised Exhaust Duration: 282
Advertised Duration: 274 int./282 exh.
Intake Valve Lift with Factory Rocker Arm Ratio: 0.555 in.
Exhaust Valve Lift with Factory Rocker Arm Ratio: 0.565 in.
Valve Lift with Factory Rocker Arm Ratio: 0.555 int./0.565 exh. lift
Lobe Separation (degrees): 112
Intake Valve Lash: 0.000 in.
Exhaust Valve Lash: 0.000 in.
Computer Controlled Compatible: Yes
Grind Number: FW XE274HR-12
I am late to this party but 93 LX what, Mustang? Offroad HPipe is kinda the clue. Off the shelf cams in my past experience can sound cool but what a waste of money. The cam is like the pacemaker for the motor. It needs to be tuned to all the variables. I can look at the specs, as sparse as they are, and say no to a TBird. I would also say no to my sons 93 Notchback 5.0. All you are giving is the most generic of specs. Where do the valve events happen that create the LSA? On a stock 5.0 what is the "critical" valve clearance lift (not max lift, happens when the piston is way down the cylinder. etc, etc, etc. This is just another SBC cam being sold to Ford guys. I ran Mopar in the early 70's and was sponsored, so to speak. When I received the custom cam to meet all restrictions (pass track spec tests) my vacuum came up to 19 from stock 18.5 on a 340 auto. Dropped .35 on my 1st run. Best driving performance car I ever had. The cam tuner required the most detailed sheet I had ever filled out. He wanted every observation I could think of from the previous season to design the cam and yet he had to make pass those tests. Within that tight range he completely changed my car.

I am going back there with my current TBird project. I am convinced the biggest reasons that TBirds don't come up to specs performance wise is there is no true existing cam profiles that fit a 5.0 in 2 tons of car. By no means, does not mean it can't be done! If you are trying to run a Mustang spec'd cam in a TBird or Cougar just "ain't" gonna work! My .02 worth.

·
Hittin' Switches
1,484 Posts
well....everyone is in agreement that this isnt a good choice. what would be a good cam for him? he mainly seems worried about how much lope there is anyway..and while were on the subject, what is a good cam to get for a 4.6 that will create tons of lope?

·
Registered
892 Posts
well....everyone is in agreement that this isnt a good choice. what would be a good cam for him? he mainly seems worried about how much lope there is anyway..and while were on the subject, what is a good cam to get for a 4.6 that will create tons of lope?
You want lope you have to find a cam with early intake openings which usually results in a narrow LSA. Risky game with stock pistons. Pain in the butt to check valve clearances on a 4.6. Course you could always just disconnect a plug or two. Won't run any worse than the wrong cam and will save your pistons. :rofl:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.