TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Baddest N/A NPI in Canada
2,118 Posts
I agree the Vikings will never win the superbowl.

Not afraid to say it but Regina gets colder than MN. I have seen -60 counting the wind chill, it was -43 without in February of 1999. The polar bears didn't evacuate!:D

That is alright, I should alter the city and a few other things and pass it around here.

·
Registered
178 Posts
-63 w/o windchill in Embarass MN 1996 (1997?)

now thats a cold *** day.. and i STILL had to go to school that day :(

·
2,118 Posts
-63, that is, well I will just say cold! How long was it like that? The -40 to -50 was for a 3 week period.

We have gotten not quite that cold without a windchill, but when you figure the windchill in, I have seen - 70 and colder with business as usual. This wasn't Regina but a small town north, I hated work terms.

·
Refrigerator Raider Hater
11,719 Posts
who cares how cold it is, you can always turn up the heat.
Vermont gets 80 to 120 inches of snow a year. ever seen snowdrifts 20feet tall?

·
Cougar Pilot
3,443 Posts
Ack it was 20 below w/ windchill a couple weeks ago. Then this week has been pretty warm though. I remember when I was a little boy (early 90's or late 80's) it was nearly 80 below with windchill one day. As for 20ft drifts, not here (too many trees) but in the further West part of the state I'd say it happens. Out there it's the land of the never dying wind. I enjoy hitting the occasional 10 footer on my snowmobile though on the years it snows. Damn El Nino...

·
Registered
2,894 Posts
GreenBird said:
ever seen snowdrifts 20feet tall?
Growing up in Weyburn Sask (not far from TGJ), we used to toboggan off the roof of the garage. Coming home after a blizzard one day, we found the entire front of our two story house piled with snow. Walk around back and the vacuum from the wind had sucked all the snow away from the backside of the house.

I'm a puss now living in BC, but back then it was freaking cold.

·
Registered
970 Posts
we went 3 days in something like -30 (w/ windchill) w/o heat. Started as an ice storm, took down all the power lines, and froze us out..... luckily our relatives have a fire place, so we sealed off that room and crashed for 3 days...

-jw

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I remember that day there grifter. My and my cousin walked to this girls house. Our parents sent the cops after us. We thought it was funny. In canal park Duluth MN I saw a drift that was as big as a three story house. I thought they put up a new house when I drove by it.

·
Registered
1,921 Posts
Yep canal park get some huge drifts out there on the point. I remeber those nice -40 day time high days, My 83' Bronco would be 1 of about 4 vehicals that would start in the school parking lot without being pluged in at that temprature. That one winter was NASTY I think it stayed -20 below the whole month of january....... that -60 below day was way cold, you could spit an it would freeze before it hit the ground.

·
2,118 Posts
I have been done in a MN winter and I have been to Manitoba for a cold winter and I live in Sask. By far, the coldest place I have ever been is in Brandon MB in Jan 2000, I was there because I was doing a work term with the Cdn forces that has a base near there( SHILO, MB). Those first 2 weeks of January was nasty cold. While I was on that work-term, I was employed in Fort Ripley MN for 2 months, end of Jan, Feb to the middle of March and it wasn't as cold as where I am from.

You have cold weather, but it always gets colder the farther north you go. A fact, the coldest city(AVG TEMP) in North America with a population of over 100,000 people is Saskatoon, SK, Canada.

Yea Greenbird I have seen snow drifts 20 feet tall.

By no means is this a war about who is gets colder, I know the geographic region and yes MN is in a cold area, but there are colder places. Take this as you want, I just stated that there are other places that can get as cold as you guys. That is what I meant to say.

·
Registered
2,894 Posts
TGJ said:
A fact, the coldest city(AVG TEMP) in North America with a population of over 100,000 people is Saskatoon, SK, Canada.

I've been there (Saskatoon) in January helping a buddy move his things back here. Holy **** was that cold. I thought my face was going to fall off.

I've also been up 50 miles north of Fort Nelson BC on a drilling rig in the dead of winter. Same idea, but there was blue sky the entire month that I was there. If there had been wind, I'm sure there's no way we could have stood more than 5 minutes outside at a time.

·
Registered
668 Posts
Good Ol' AK

Any body here how cold it gets in Good ol' Alaska. I remember -60 without windchill and that is degrees not celcius. I can remember ice fog so bad that you can not see 10 feet past the hood of your car. As far as snow we don't get that much to create 20ft snow drifts, but upper MI can get annually over 300 inches. Never seen it myself but my grandparents live there.

But this year so far we have not dropped below zero degrees but once. And we actually had like a few days in november where we had like 40+ degrees out.
:ztoohot: talk about hot!!!!!

·
Cougar Pilot
3,443 Posts
I remember a few years back watching channel 4 news (twin cities) and the weatherman was out on the roof and it was about 40 below and he threw out a cup of coffee, totally ice before it hit the ground.

·
Registered
178 Posts
at 60 below, you can take boiling water, throw it up in the air, and it will not freeze.. it will go right to a gas :) sublimation.. pretty cool to see..
thats waht hapens when you have a psycho science teacher

·
Registered
192 Posts
Oh i can't believe it there are other tccoaers from MN. Everyone in here just has to lay off of the vikings. The Vikings are on there way up to the top. As long as they beat the packers I am happy. Anyone here live near the twin cities?

1 - 20 of 24 Posts