TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What's up guys,

I need to know how to replace and/or repair the passenger door handle on my 97 cougar. The handle doesn't open the door anymore. When I lift the handle, it just lifts up with no kind of tension. It still opens from the inside though. I'm not sure if it can be repaired or what, but any suggestions would be cool. Thanks.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Pull the inside door panel. Make sure the window is up befor you do. remove the plasic from the right side just enough to see the handle in the upper right end of the door from the inside. There are two bolts holding the door handle and it comes off from the out side. First check the handle befor taking it out to see if the rod is off the handle on the inside of the door. You might have just broke the clip that holds it in place. These can be pick up at any wreaking yard.

Kurt

·
MN12 Fanatic
1,459 Posts
On the 96-97 door handles there are actually 2 plastic rivets that need to be drilled out and then repleced with new ones with reinstallation instead of the bolts.

Sounds to me that the rod may have came disconnected. Pull the skin and check it out. Something may have broke, just need to find out what so you can replace it.

If it does need replaced, best bet is to get one used from a salvage yard or in the marketplace on here. Since they are quite pricey from Ford (80 bux I beleive).

·
Registered
493 Posts
Tony is right just did mine I broke one of the hinges on the handle. I got new replacement handles from my local dealer they come prepainted but supplies in certain colors are running low. I bought a pair of handles for $100.00.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts