TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Banned
754 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When driving around and over some of the rough roads we have here I hear a lot of knocking and clunking around that I'm fairly certain is my suspension.

I would like to know exactly what/where the problems are but I don't know how to check for loose stuff when the car isn't moving and hitting bumps, nor do I have enough actual experience to "just know" what the sounds are.

how do you troubleshoot problems with suspension that require the car to be moving?

on a slightly off topic note, since I'm here, where do you get those braces that go across the engine/trunk?

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
Posted in another thread but here goes.....
Component Tests

Ball Joint — Upper

Raise vehicle and place jackstands under the front suspension lower arm so there is no load on the upper ball joint.

Attach Dial Indicator With Bracketry TOOL-4201-C or equivalent at the upper ball joint to be checked in such a way as to measure the lateral movement between the front wheel spindle and the front suspension arm bushing joint (3085).

Grasp the tire at the top and bottom and slowly move the tire in and out. Note the reading (radial play) on the dial indicator. If the reading exceeds 0.4 mm (0.015 inch), replace the front suspension arm bushing joint. Refer to Section 04-01 .

Ball Joint — Lower

Raise vehicle and place jackstands under thefront suspension lower arm so there is no load on the front suspension lower arm ball joint.

Attach Dial Indicator With Bracketry TOOL-4201-C or equivalent at the front suspension lower arm ball joint to be checked in such a way as to measure the lateral movement between the front wheel spindle and the front suspension lower arm.

Grasp the tire at the top and bottom and slowly move the tire in and out. Note the reading (radial play) on the dial indicator. If the reading exceeds 0.4 mm (0.015 inch), replace the front suspension lower arm ball joint.

In other words...

Put the car securely on jackstands, and put your jack under the control arm and put a bit of lift on the jack so the weight rests on the jack (you still have the jackstand as a backup, maybe lift the car a few mm off the stand). Then shake the wheel as noted.

Pretty much any movement means you need a ball joint.

Knocking and clunking could be you sway bar links.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts