TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
143 Posts
One simple test I read somewhere to see if the wires were acting up was to wait until it's real dark or park in a dark garage and start the car and look at the wires in the dark. If you see arcing (sp?) and sparks, well then you've got wires that are waaaayyyyy past bad. As for the coil packs, man I dunno.

James

·
Refrigerator Raider Hater
11,719 Posts
You can test the resistence of the wires and the coil packs. Sorry, I don't have the #'s. My car still has the factory wires, and the "dark room" test showed no arcing at idle, but plenty at higher RPMs, so do rev it some. I plan on doing them at the same time as my new intake. :)

·
5w30 Guzzler
1,462 Posts
Taken from one of the tech articles:

"The ignition system (DIS) like other ignition systems work better with lower resistance wires. The 8.5mm - 10mm Magnacor wires work very well and the wire resistance is around 3,000 ohms per foot. Your stock Ford wires will have around 9,000 ohms per foot."

·
Registered
23 Posts
about the dark room spark test...have a spray bottle filled with water...spray on the wires...it will help detect misfire...if you for a little spark yourself touch each wire with your hand...if you have a bad wire...you'll know:ztoohot: But don't worry it's not dangerous...you'll just feel a buzz trought your hand,forearm and maybe helbow...

i tessstteedddd it dddooonnn'ttt wwooorrrryyyy!!!;)

·
Registered
23 Posts
you should see back in school...we used to plug the old sparkplug testing bench to the local's steel door...then put some water on the ground...and wait for one of the guy to come in to store is toolchest...pushing the rolling toolchest in the door to open it...and:headbang:

that was funny!

by the way hi voltage is not dangerous...it's the amps that can kill...10mA to provoque an heart attack!!!

when you spark youself with a plug wire the amps are not hi enough! even with 35000v

1 - 8 of 8 Posts