TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
480 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone tell me if its possible the cars mileage is recorded someplace other than the Odometer? Mine stopped working years ago and im curious how many miles ive put on it.

·
Super Moderator
1997 Thunderbird 4.6, 1998 Mark VIII LSC
9,454 Posts
Only way I know of is to check the date code on the tires and approximate how many miles have been traveled on them based on the treadwear and mileage warranty.

·
Registered
7,758 Posts
Considering there are gobs and gobs of apps out there now, there should be one that uses the device to determine "distance traveled". Or a GPS receiver might do the same thing.

Then just do the math with the gallons put in the tank.

·
Registered
480 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I dont think you guys understand. Im curious about the TOTAL mileage on the car. Its been years since the odometer stopped working, ive changed the tires since then and what not. I was hoping there was a way to know from the cars computer, but im guessing from the reply's so far, that the car's computer doesn't keep track of that?

·
Registered
7,758 Posts
Oh. Sorry I thought you were talking about fuel economy. I don't know of any way to determine the total miles on the car.

·
Super Moderator
12,429 Posts
We understand perfectly what you're asking. There is no way to know exactly how many miles are on the car. You can estimate your mileage based on any previous records you may have kept of your travels or mileage per year, month, or tank of gas.

Take the mileage when the odo stopped working (currently displayed mileage) and add about 1,000 to 1,200 miles per month since it stopped working and you'll be at a pretty good estimation of the mileage on the car. To do this you have to know when the odo stopped working otherwise there is no way to even begin to estimate the mileage on the car.

No, the computer does not keep track of your mileage. The 1995 Tbird was built long before computers became so sophisticated and now keep track of EVERYTHING (You can be thankful for that). Modern car computers are now used in many undesirable ways to track your movements, speed, direction, braking, driving habits, g-forces (cornering and braking forces), etc.

The police, car companies, insurance companies and accident investigators now go for the computer first thing after any major or even minor accident to see exactly what you were doing at the time of impact. Or, they could use the data to deny warranty claims based on how you drove the car.

Beware of newer cars! Big brother is watching!

·
Registered
480 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
eh well its too late really. im retiring the bird as its just got too many problems to be worth fixing. Ive already bought a used Elentra for better gas mileage. I wish fixing the bird wasnt going to cost more than it was worth, but its just has so many problems now i couldnt keep up with it.

I was just wanting to know how much i really drive it before i got rid of it.. oh well.

·
Super Moderator
12,429 Posts
I had the same problem with the trans wiring melting from contact with the exhaust. That was a piss poor design flaw from Ford. The wiring wasn't routed away from or protected from the exhaust.

Are you planning on parting the car out or selling it?

·
Super Moderator
1997 Thunderbird 4.6, 1998 Mark VIII LSC
9,454 Posts
im retiring the bird as its just got too many problems to be worth fixing. [...] I wish fixing the bird wasnt going to cost more than it was worth, but its just has so many problems now i couldnt keep up with it.
That's unfortunate that you have to let the car go. I understand how the sudden surge of things that break can cause a lot of money to go away very fast, but I think about things differently. I look at the maintenance or upkeep of my cars as the "car payment" for them. If those "payments" (not including regular maintenance items like plugs, wires, oil, etc.) start to exceed those of what you'd pay for a new car (or even a slightly used car), then I start to evaluate the practicality of keeping the car.

Many people can't do this however because they only have one car that they have to rely on in a day-to-day basis. In my case I have other cars to fall back on should one need work and be out of commission for a while.

·
Premium Member
1,150 Posts
Are you planning on parting the car out or selling it?
Dibs. :thumbsup: j/k

Well if you have another car now cant you keep it and fix it?

Many times I've ran into the problem of, it's costing me more than it's worth but there are also months where it doesn't cost me anything except oil changes and gas. With everything I've put into my 94 I could have bought a brand new car and more but, it would be getting to the point where it would need work also, it's a never ending story and newer cars = more expensive parts.

I chose to keep fixing the bird and in my case worked out better. I may have sunk enough into it to buy another new car but it's basically better than new except it needs paint. Since almost everything on the car that can be removed or break down has been replaced except the wiring and PCM. I know I'll be able to drive it for a long time still and I love driving it.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts