TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I might be going to look at one today, for 100$ what codes should i look for and any pics of what it should look like. Also is there a way to tell if it is any good?

·
Jedi Master
3,647 Posts
where are you getting it from?
find out how many miles it had, what car it came from, make sure to ask for year make model just to be sure, what kind of warranty it has, if it doesn't don't bother buying it, try to aim for a t-bird or cougar aod since it is slightly, very slightly different from the mustang (shifter linkage) and if your not too familiar with trannies don't get a mustang aod

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
he said he is sure it is an aod, but it was out of a mercury not sure what kind
he said it was a 289 so...?

idk, i would like some pics of what an aod looks like before i go look at it, its only 100$ so its worth a look at least

·
Jedi Master
3,647 Posts
289!?

there is no car with an 289 that had an aod, the aod debuted in '86, if i am correct, and the 289 only made it till around 69-70, if the car had a 289 then what it is a C4 and not a aod

if your planning to go pro street, C4s are the way to go if not don't get it

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i think he means a 4.6, people up here call 4.6s 289s for some reason, but arent those aodes?
I think it may have been out of a mercury grand marque or couger..

·
Jedi Master
3,647 Posts
its still not a aod, then what you have is a 4R70W, an electronically controlled auto tranny (on 94-up mn12)
for $100 yeah that's a good price but that tranny just wouldn't work at all with your set up
a 4.6 is a 281 and the tranny from 4.6 is completely different from a 3.8 and 5.0 the bolt pattern of it is different, if you had really wanted to mount that 4R70W it would of have of been from a 3.8 and even so you would need to do some fancy wiring
my suggestion is to turn back and run away...and look for a real aod

·
Registered
2,638 Posts
mn12xr7 said:
289!?

there is no car with an 289 that had an aod, the aod debuted in '86, if i am correct, and the 289 only made it till around 69-70, if the car had a 289 then what it is a C4 and not a aod

if your planning to go pro street, C4s are the way to go if not don't get it
The AOD will bolt right up to a 289. It is the same block as a 302. Putting a "modern" AOD into an old car is not unheard of.

·
Registered
3,178 Posts
AOD- 1980-1993. (edit: There were half a year of 4.6's with AODs, but they had the 5.0 bellhousing, so they still wouldnt bolt up to most 4.6's), they should all be the 5.0 bellhousing pattern to my knowledge. The later ones were supposed to be a bit improved over the 80s ones. Fully hydraulic controlled.
AODE- 1994-5 Mustang, 1992.5-1994 CrownVic/Marquis/Towncar. Both 5.0 and 4.6 bellhousings available. Computer controlled.
4R70W - 1993-98 Mark8, 94-97 MN12, 96+ Mustang, 95+ Vics ... Both bellhousings available, 98+ ones are much stronger. Computer controlled.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts