TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3,391 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
How do I know if fuel pump is bad?

First, let me tell you guys a little story... My bro was driving his 96 cougar like 1 year ago or so when the transmicion took a dump. He took it to the shop and they told him that they needed to rebuild the tranny so my brother aggread. After the first rebuild it didnt passed 2 months when the tranny broke down again, same problem happened again as the first time. 1-2 shift car struggled to change and when it changed to 3rd it would stay there and would not change to 4th, but the 3rd was horrible, car was all shaky. My brother took it to a "reputable" shop, and the tech guys told him that the other transmicion shop had put a tranny from a junkyard that they didnt even rebuilt it so he had to rebuild it again:rolleyes: (more money). My brother introduced his friend the lawyer to does POS and he won. The 2nd shop rebuilt the tranny completely and it was fine when the car got out. 3 months passed and tranny also again started to give problems, 1-2 had trouble to change and 2-3 was shaky. Brother took it again because it was under guarantee, and when they opened it, my brother told me that that the TC and I dont remember what else was torn apart:confused: I was like damn??? The guys said that we were racing the car, which is not true because my dad was driving the cougar at that time, and they argued alot because of it, so they agreed to rebuilt it again.. The 2nd time they rebuild it and it was ok, no problems so far, until 2 months ago. When shifting from 1-2, the car starts to rattle, like it wants to die, so we need to punch in the gas and then it changes to 3, 3-4 are ok so far. My dad had the idea to change the fuel filter, so he did. Let me tell you that for a while it stoped doing it, but then after 1 week or so it started again.
So, is it the fuel pump or not??? Because, everytime we start the car, it takes a while to do so and then it starts to shakes alot, like if there wasnt enough pressure... What ya guys think?????

P.S. Sorry for the long post. Did you like the lil story?? :D:tongue:

·
Premium Member
9,165 Posts
Difficult to read. Is "does" a slang term for "those"? Sorry, I'm just an old man and can't translate a lot of the modern slang. And I'm sorry but spelling does make a difference in the readability of a post.

To answer your question about the fuel pump. If replacing a fuel filter fixed the problem for about a week, you might look into contaminants in the fuel tank. It sounds like the first fuel got clogged, and if the second one is also clogged after only a week then something is clogging them up and fast.

On a side note, ever notice that if you hear the term "gas pump" you first think of that device you use to put gas in your car; but when you hear "fuel pump" the first thing you think of is the small pump used to get the gas from the tank to the engine? Just an observation, not really related to the thread!

·
Registered
3,391 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You got me thinking Traveler and I corrected the whole post. I need to start writing correctly.... :tongue: Thank you for pointing that out. :)

About the clogs, never really though of that, thats a good observation I might check into that.. Thanks man...

·
Refrigerator Raider Hater
11,719 Posts
If giving it throttle helps the situation, it is NOT the fuel pump. I'd check the TPS voltage, IAc and EGR.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts