TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have a 95 t-bird and i whave a set of 4.10s and everything to put them in but idk if my car has the trac.loc or posi or whatever you want you call it.. how can i find out

·
Registered
4,407 Posts
I doubt you have T-lok.You can check the door jam for the axel code.My car came with 3.27's which I hear is rare for an LX.Maybe not but most I see come with 3.08 open diff.

·
Registered
2,806 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
if i dont how can i go about getting a posi rearend for this car what would i need to get it out of

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
i have a 95 but see thats the problem sometimes they do and sometimes they dont. i guess it depends on how hard i hit the gas. because with foot on brake if i just mash the car both with spin but if i just kinda push on it one the passenger one does

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
i know it sounds stupid but which ones on that chart actually have a locking rear end in it , if im write it's the ones with 2 letter/numbers under the AX right

·
Who is John Galt?
6,476 Posts
What do you mean? Which cars? With the cars it's a crap-shoot. I think there were certain SC's that were more likely to have locking rears, but someone else could shed some more light on that.

·
Registered
2,806 Posts
i know it sounds stupid but which ones on that chart actually have a locking rear end in it , if im write it's the ones with 2 letter/numbers under the AX right
In that link I posted there are two colums. The codes under conventional are for open rears and the ones under lock are the limited slip codes. The third column lists the ratio that those codes are for. When looking at a diff there will be a tag on one of the cover bolts. This tag has a bunch of numbers but the most important is the ratio which as an example a 3.27 ratio rear will be 3 27 for an open and 3L27 for a locking rear.

-Miller

·
Registered
348 Posts
Put the rear end of the car in the air with the wheels free (jack stands), put it in neutral and spin one of the tires with your hand. If the other tire spins the same way, you have a trac loc... if it doesn't, its an open diff.
...or pop the cover off the diff and look for a big S spring right in the middle of everything...

·
Banned
5,377 Posts
another way to test to see if you have trac-lok is to go to the beach and put one tire in the sand and the other on pavement. floor it...if you get stuck and move very slowly then you dont have trac-lok. if both tires spin fast and you get un-stuck then you have trac-lok

That, or you can do it the easy way and check the door jam sticker where it lists the body color code/vin number/etc. Like stated above look for the letter/number under where it says "AX".....then click on the link above and see where your code falls into.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
yeah i looked at the sticker this morning and it was a Y so no i dont have trac loc
boo now i have to spend more money

·
Resident drifter
649 Posts
Icarus said:
Put the rear end of the car in the air with the wheels free (jack stands), put it in neutral and spin one of the tires with your hand. If the other tire spins the same way, you have a trac loc... if it doesn't, its an open diff.
ha, I forgot about that way. It is the easiest.

·
Premium Member
9,165 Posts
Nah, checking the code is the easiest. But that beach thing sounded like the most fun. :D

·
Registered
348 Posts
jack up the rear so that one tire is on the ground and the other isn't and try to turn the wheel
EDIT: still won't work on a worn out unit... ;)

I'd agree the stickers the easiest way too, the beach the most fun way, and my way, well... good if you don't have a beach around or the sticker :D lol... just figured I'd throw it in here...

1 - 20 of 27 Posts