TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Right now my exhaust setup is straight piped with flowmaster tips. Everytime I hear my friends dads exhaust on his 8.1 liter Silverado crackle when he is driving I wish my would do that. My car sounds really good all smooth, but I would rather it crackel instead. Does anyone have any idea how to make it do this?

·
Registered
2,028 Posts
Right now my exhaust setup is straight piped with flowmaster tips. Everytime I hear my friends dads exhaust on his 8.1 liter Silverado crackle when he is driving I wish my would do that. My car sounds really good all smooth, but I would rather it crackel instead. Does anyone have any idea how to make it do this?
How to make it sound like a Chevrolet running sh.tty? You could pul a spark plug wire off or two...

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No it doesn't run sh.tty. It's basically a brand new truck. His is also straight piped.

·
Registered
1,716 Posts
I'll keep my "stock pickup truck with bubba'd exhaust" opinions to myself, but the answer is easy enough.

Straight pipes all the way back @ stock diameter, or with really used up straight-thru glasspacks. Don't expect yours to sound exactly like that Silverado though.

·
Super Moderator
4,939 Posts
Do remember, the firing orders are different and the path the pipes follow are also different, they won't sound the same.

How to make your ride sound just like his Silverado? Buy a Silverado just like his and put an identical exhaust system on it. :diablo:

RwP

·
Registered
1,716 Posts
Do remember, the firing orders are different and the path the pipes follow are also different, they won't sound the same.

How to make your ride sound just like his Silverado? Buy a Silverado just like his and put an identical exhaust system on it. :diablo:
Usually we hear "how to sound like Mustang?" here. Now a Silverado? lol jk

Seriously, you're on the right track with what you already have. Maybe check his truck and compare how his exhaust and yours is different.

·
Super Moderator
17,034 Posts

RwP
Firing pattern is the same.

True dual straight pipes (without a H or X pipe) from the manifolds back will generaly produce crackles and pops.

·
Super Moderator
10,643 Posts
You car is running too good. :thumbsup:

It has to run rich to get that crackle sound; that's fuel burning off in the manifold, generally.

My Firebird used to do that, when the carb was dumping enough fuel to kill the cats, lol.

Boy, how I miss those days... Not.

Sorry; I can't help much. Everything I've ever done has made these cars run better; seems like they were always lean when having a problem anyway. :zdunno:

·
Premium Member
5,862 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
terrible idea

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Mine sounds somewhat like that. Just without the little "hiccups" "crackels" whatever you want to call them.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Mine sounds somewhat like that. Just without the little "hiccups" "crackels" whatever you want to call them.
and it's caused by very small or large holes in the exhaust up by the motor...possible sealing issue and it's sucking in air and causes the noises.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
So I should drill a bunch of holes in my exhaust just after the headers?

... Just playin, i'm not that stupid.

·
Registered
623 Posts
Here is a great setup for 'crackle and pop'...

-2" duals (or even 1.75", ha)
-no crossover (X or H)
-no cats if you can get away with it
-blowmasters or nothing out back

·
Registered
63 Posts
and it's caused by very small or large holes in the exhaust up by the motor...possible sealing issue and it's sucking in air and causes the noises.
that's what mine sounded like when i had a bad "donut" gasket.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tep__cXgTRA

i got those 40S flowmasters from a 97T-bird, they still have the stock Tbird located brackets,
im thinking about taking them off my 5.0L maverick and onto the Tbird :)

·
Registered
71 Posts
yeah I HATE that sound....I like a good sealed exhaust....with the exception of my turbo stang.....haha
<object width="560" height="340"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/v7J1uc3ClYc&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/v7J1uc3ClYc&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="560" height="340"></embed></object>

1 - 20 of 47 Posts