·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have:
  • unbolted both flanges at the exhaust manifolds
  • unbolted and separated the ball-and-socket flange in the middle of the car
  • removed the small crossmember in the middle of the car
The headpipe will move rearward but stops while the 2 hanger bars are still inside the tubes on the tail of the transmission. I also start to get interference where the passenger side cat hits the sloped part of the trans tunnel.

I'm pulling the engine right now but I will also need to remove the rear portion of the exhaust to weld on some new mufflers at a later date. Is there a guide somewhere to removing the entire exhaust (without destroying it)?

·
50 years of Mercury Cougar 1967/2017
1,265 Posts
The stock exhaust system comes out of the car in two pieces.

The front half tilts down slightly and slides back.
(lubricate the rubber hangar insulators)

The rear. slide the left muffler to the left until the hanger rod pulls out, then the entire
rear system slides to the right to remove.

If you are not replacing the rear section right away you can leave it in the car until replacing the mufflers.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The stock exhaust system comes out of the car in two pieces.

The front half tilts down slightly and slides back.
(lubricate the rubber hangar insulators)

The rear. slide the left muffler to the left until the hanger rod pulls out, then the entire
rear system slides to the right to remove.

If you are not replacing the rear section right away you can leave it in the car until replacing the mufflers.
Thanks. I wound up having to unbolt the passenger side transmission crossmember bolt and drop the passenger side of the crossmember down to get it out.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts