TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm curious, currently I'm fairly stock, but plan on getting a PI motor. I plan on running the comp cams 252AH, and a 190Lph fuel pump, I plan on doing the jmod and getting a stall converter.... I'm assuming that for the most part if affected, it would be at WOT, right? I plan on getting a xcal2 from lonnie, and was looking at his ordering page for it, and it listed a ton of choices for different lbs. injectors. I'm wondering if it would make a difference to jump to 24lbs. or not, or should I go higher? Do I need a new fuel regulator? (adjustable) I'm not sure if the stock on is currently adjustable.

Just woke up with some questions today. :)

-Nick

·
Registered
2,717 Posts
I think you need bigger injectors only if you are approaching max'ing out the duty cycle on the stock/current ones.
Power adders usually require at least a modest upgrade too. Superchargers, etc.

·
Premium Member
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That is kinda what I was wondering about. I don't plan on any power adder, just 80mm MAF, 70mm TB, not sure if that will justify needing more fuel for the air flow.

Not sure if this is more generic of a question or if it should go to the ECC forum for tuning.

·
Registered
9,966 Posts
Nick...i sent the cams off tuesday afternoon:)

anywho, I got a good deal on a set of 24lb injectors for an extra fuel cushion. I run a 255 walbro pump and Aeromotive regulator. Lonnie cut me a revised tune for the injectors..I say, if you happe to stumble upon a set of say 24s with a price you cant refuse, what the hell, get em ;)

·
Registered
169 Posts
dwayne at logan motorsports (SCT tuner that did my car) told me that 300 rwhp is about max for 19lbers. i've heard this from other sources also that's a pretty good rule of thumb.

i'd go ahead and build the engine with the 19's, get it on the dyno and tuned, and go from there.

·
Amateur Expert
1,662 Posts
The new '04 PI motors have 21 lb. injectors and they're pink. You can find them on Ebay all day long.

·
Registered
112 Posts
The 21's would be a nice compromise if you don't have headwork or anything else in the motor besides the cams; nothing bigger than 24's. Are you planning to race/run it hard alot? How big a gear and stall?

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
I've got "pink top" injectors, that according to the part number are for use in Europe, and are supposedlt rated at 21.5lb/hr, but According to Ken @ Modular Depot (I got my tune from them before I knew about Lonnie), there's no such thing as 21.5# injectors. He says they're 19#. :zdunno:

·
Premium Member
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
JCG1 said:
The 21's would be a nice compromise if you don't have headwork or anything else in the motor besides the cams; nothing bigger than 24's. Are you planning to race/run it hard alot? How big a gear and stall?

I'm not sure about the stall, thinking 2800-3000 when I do it. Gears are 3.73s, I'd like to take it out to the track from time to time, but it will still basically be my daily driver.

I kinda miss the power, I had a 71 Mach 1, that I used to drive around as a daily driver.

·
Registered
112 Posts
I didn't bother to check out the 21 claim. I've seen other flow rates claimed on aftermarket injectors too, you never know what's out there. I don't have time to search right now, but I'd think someone might have had their injectors cleaned/flowed and posted the results. If Ken said that: 1) it's probably true; and 2) you might find the info I'm talking about on modulardepot.com

Thundechicken1's advice is very sound. If it's way into the duty cycle then you know you need to switch up. Without a PA, it's not like you're risking running out of fuel with the 19s.

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
JCG1 said:
If Ken said that: 1) it's probably true; and 2) you might find the info I'm talking about on modulardepot.com
Well, FWIW, the numbers on my injectors are as follows:

0 280 150 561
F0TE-9F593-D9B

If you go to http://www.fiveomotorsport.com/Injector_SetsFORD.asp , first row of injectors, fourth to the right, that's what's in my car. They're listed as 22#.

Also, if you go here: http://faq.ford77.ru/engine/jet/tableifc.htm , third table down, third row down in that table, there it is again...

I don't know what the story is, but I'm doubting that they really are 19#.

·
Refrigerator Raider Hater
11,719 Posts
Nick, if your getting a PI motor, 262AHs, and plan to do any further up grades I would go ahead and get 24s. They'll flow enough for any 2v motor, but they aren't so extreme you'd see negative effects. They'll even be big enough to support a small nitrous shot if you choose later. You can find sets of 24s for less than $100.

You probably don't need a new FPR, but they can wear out so test it out. You should see ~40psi at the rail with the vacuum hose removed from the FPR, and ~30psi at idle with the vacuum line attached.

·
Premium Member
9,165 Posts
Thread revival time.

I'm going to be putting a set of PI heads, PI intake, and a LMAF on my car this summer sometime. I was talking to the guy who sold the heads to me, and he inadvertantly made me think of something. With the increased compression of PI heads on an NPI motor, would the 24 lb injectors be a good idea? And if I go with 24's would a higher flow fuel pump also be required? The injectors would be part of what I tell Lonnie when I have him burn the chip for the all the changes.

·
Registered
9,966 Posts
Traveler said:
Thread revival time.

I'm going to be putting a set of PI heads, PI intake, and a LMAF on my car this summer sometime. I was talking to the guy who sold the heads to me, and he inadvertantly made me think of something. With the increased compression of PI heads on an NPI motor, would the 24 lb injectors be a good idea? And if I go with 24's would a higher flow fuel pump also be required? The injectors would be part of what I tell Lonnie when I have him burn the chip for the all the changes.

i run 24lb injectors with my PI motor, have an aeromotive regulator, and a 255 walbro pump. The aeromotive reg. was purchased partly because it matches my valvecovers, and the 255 pump because my then 9 year old pump was quite weak. But, since you will be running more power, go ahead and spring for a new one. They arent very expensive(190lph) and if the price is right for a set of injectors, get em. I got the 24s for 90$. Lonnie can cut you the proper tune with the MAF and injector combo you plan to run.

check with Jeff at www.nitrostangracing.com for the injectors.

joseph

·
Premium Member
9,165 Posts
Thanks a bunch. Thats kinda what I figured. I'm taking my time on this, so I'll just do what I usually do and keep an eye on Ebay for the injectors.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts