TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I am having a slight problem with the steering not returning to center on its own. I did a search and saw a post where one guy had a similar problem and someone said that it was probably a balljoint.

So I took a look underneath, and all of them seem to haver their rubber boots in good shape and I felt no play when I shook the wheel, but I would appreciate it if some of you with more experience could take a look at these pics. I have only had the car about a week so my exp. is minimal.

I know it's all a bit rusty, but funny enough, besides the suspension, the car is very clean :)

Thank you for your help

Passenger top

Passenger Bottom

Driver top

Driver bottom

·
motor city poster
2,029 Posts
well they dont look too bad, but i guess i could never really tell by looks. my car was fine, i got new tires and then the steering wouldnt return to center either, a month later the ball joints started to go back and creek like none other, and one broke on me.

i guess my point is, if the steering doesnt return to center most likely the ball joints are worn out, or have your alignment checked out at a shop and see what they say.

·
8,239 Posts
the boots with the green wire tell me that they aren't factory balljoints which is good. They don't look bad and they aren't leaking.

I would get the wheel up and push it around and see if there is any play.

But I agree with will.

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
Yes, jack the car up and let the suspension hang freely, then grab the wheel with both hands and move it around, if there is play then thats most likely your problem.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts