TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
3rd Gear Chirper
2,399 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'd like to convert all the rubber lines on my Bird to braided stainless, but I've seen two different types: one type looks like a normal rubber hose and is clamped on just like one. It is covered with the braided sheathing...the other type appears to be threaded all the way, no clamps or anything.

How do you attach <a href=http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?autofilter=1&part=SUM%2D220690&N=700+115&autoview=sku>these</a href> to <a href=http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?autofilter=1&part=SUM%2D230620&N=700+115&autoview=sku>this</a href> for instance?

·
Whining Intakes Rock
3,645 Posts
If you click large pic you can see the nipple inside that the hose fits on. That would be my guess.

·
Registered
2,233 Posts
http://www.stockcarproducts.com/aqp1a.htm

Hope you have some good funding for this project. Are you going to get a new radiator with -AN fittings? What about the thermostat housing?

If all you want is the look, and not the hassle, they make a fake covering you can put over the rubber hoses and fake fittings that fit over the hose clamps.

·
3rd Gear Chirper
2,399 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Tobey said:
http://www.stockcarproducts.com/aqp1a.htm

Hope you have some good funding for this project. Are you going to get a new radiator with -AN fittings? What about the thermostat housing?
Lol, no I didn't mean every line on the car, I should have been more clear on stating that, just the ones that I've added/will add later like for the trans cooler and remote oil filter mount.

·
Registered
2,233 Posts
hotbird said:
Lol, no I didn't mean every line on the car, I should have been more clear on stating that, just the ones that I've added/will add later like for the trans cooler and remote oil filter mount.
That makes more sense. When I did my remote mount oil filter, I used the socketless fittings. Much easier to assemble. It's a special type of hose that fits over a barbed -AN fitting. You don't get the shiny look of the braided stainless lines, but you get all the functionality with less hassle.

·
Moderator, Iowa Chapter Director, Uber Luber, TCCo
8,978 Posts
word of advice, dont use the reusable fittings with braided line. They friggin SUCK! I had 1,000 spots where I bled from the little stainless wires poking my fingers.

·
3rd Gear Chirper
2,399 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thomas, you mean the twist-on type? :confused: I though they were all reusable?

The way I understand it from the diagram that was linked to, you twist the hose into the fitting and it seals itself into it. Then you screw the fitting on whatever you're connecting to (oil cooler, pump, etc)

·
Registered
2,233 Posts
hotbird said:
Thomas, you mean the twist-on type? :confused: I though they were all reusable?

The way I understand it from the diagram that was linked to, you twist the hose into the fitting and it seals itself into it. Then you screw the fitting on whatever you're connecting to (oil cooler, pump, etc)
Yes, both types are re-usable. What I think he is referring to is that as the steel braided stuff gets used and worn, the metal braid starts fraying. And those little strands hurt like crazy when you grab the hose. On the race car I used to have, I had to wear leather gloves when removing the oil lines for engine removal. The hose for the socketless fittings that I have on my T-Bird doesn't have the metal braiding, so it should be easier to handle a couple years down the road.

·
The Parts Guy
7,305 Posts
hotbird said:
Take a look at the "how to" again. You twist the socket onto the hose, then thread the nipple into it. As the nipple threads in, it expands the hose against the socket, making a seal. Then you can attach it to whatever.

As far as installing hose ends on braided stainless hoses goes, just wear gloves.

-Rod

1 - 9 of 9 Posts