TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i cannot figure out how to get my spark plugs out. seems like no matter if i try from the top or bottom of the engine i cannot get them out. how do i do this since i never have done it on my own before

·
Super Moderator
5,115 Posts
Is your car supercharged or normally aspirated?

Hint: If it doesn't say "Supercharged" on the air tubing, it probably ain't.

RwP

·
Registered
2,134 Posts
I think if your trying from the bottom of the engine your doing it wrong.. :confused:...

Pull the rubber plugs out, and get a 5/8's socket and extention.. (I think its 5/8?) Just don't over tighten or cross thread anything. I can't imagine the pain in the a$$ that would be if something went wrong down in there..

·
Super Moderator
5,115 Posts
What problem are you having with them?

They're not that hard to get to on the NA pushrods.

RwP

·
Registered
4,311 Posts
I think if your trying from the bottom of the engine your doing it wrong.. :confused:...
I do mine from the bottom .. not as much room on a SC. On the NA they are fairly easy to get to from the top, but you can do it either way. The AC lines get in the way on the passenger side but there should be plenty of room on the drivers.

·
Administrator
8,205 Posts
Passenger side is tight, helps to have small hands! :)

Remove the intake tube to give yourself more room.

Joe

·
Super Moderator
1997 Thunderbird 4.6, 1998 Mark VIII LSC
9,517 Posts
I seem to recall it wasn't too difficult... just grab a 5/8" spark plug socket and have some socket extensions handy if necessary. Pull the boots off the plugs, slip the socket over the end of the plug, use an extension to get clearance for a ratchet from the manifolds if necessary, righty-tighty, lefty-loosey etc. etc...

·
Registered
7 Posts
Might be like my 4.0 ranger... I had to go in through the wheel well to get to them and actually be able to see what I was doing. It's amazing how much easier it was to change plugs and wires on my 5.0 than on my 4.0...

·
Registered
4,311 Posts
Might be like my 4.0 ranger... I had to go in through the wheel well to get to them and actually be able to see what I was doing. It's amazing how much easier it was to change plugs and wires on my 5.0 than on my 4.0...
Why didnt I think of that ???? Just go through the wheel well .. :tongue:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts