TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I always thought it was wins divided by total games played, but the numbers aren't coming out right. When ties are involved, how does that work?

·
Registered
601 Posts
Ok, a strike is ten plus the next two frames, a spare is ten plus the next one frame. :p IDK What you're asking

·
Administrator
14,208 Posts
(wins/total) x100 = win %
Ties don't usually count as wins.

10 wins/100 games = .1 x100= 10%

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah, that's what I thought... I dunno, on this hockey board, people are listing their team's home records. For example, someone listed:

15-0-1 (.968)

See, 15 (wins) / 16 (total games) = .937. But after fiddling around with the math trying to figure it out, I punched in 15.5 (half a win for the tie) / 16, which does work out to .968.

Ok, so in my post I listed NMU's home record at the Berry Events Center all-time:

88-32-16 (.647) --I derived the win % from wins / total games

But later on, someone corrected me, posting:

88-32-16 (.705)

So I thought, "Ok, let's try my unexplainable half-win-for-a-tie procedure." It worked! But is this coincidence, or is that actually how it's done? Why the hell would you get 50% extra on your ties?

And here I am trying to be a sports journalist...

·
Premium Member
9,165 Posts
LOL Key word... trying. I'm sure you'll get it.

·
Administrator
14,208 Posts
I guess they are giving half a game to each team. I've never really followed sports so I don't know how all that works. lol

·
Trumpeter Extraordinaire
2,917 Posts
ExecutiveHydra said:
Ok, a strike is ten plus the next two frames, a spare is ten plus the next one frame. :p
Technically, a strike is ten plus the next two balls' total, and a spare is ten plus the next ball total (not frame(s)). ;) :D

·
Registered
1,890 Posts
In hockey it was 2 points for a win and 1 point for a tie. Which gives you the .5 per tie.

How the game works now I still dont have a clue.

·
Premium Member
9,165 Posts
IronChopz said:
Technically, a strike is ten plus the next two balls' total, and a spare is ten plus the next ball total (not frame(s)). ;) :D
lol I was just gonna say that!

·
Registered
890 Posts
Give two points for each win, and one point for each tie (no points for a loss), add up all your points.

Divide by the total number of points available (total games played X 2)

There you go.

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
mamberg said:
Give two points for each win, and one point for each tie (no points for a loss), add up all your points.

Divide by the total number of points available (total games played X 2)

There you go.
Cool, thanks! I had no clue how it worked with ties.

·
Registered
344 Posts
And...new rules this year are- one point for tie at end of regulation, and one extra for a win in over time. So if you tie both teams get1 point and whoever wins in the 5 min over time or the shoot out.

Jon

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Oh, no, this is college hockey I was talking about. But I didn't mean points, I just meant the math behind the general win percentage when there's just one tie involved (working out overtime losses on top of all that would make my head explode).

·
Registered
1,890 Posts
Then all ya do is count up the wins then add each tie at .5, then divide by total games

·
Refrigerator Raider Hater
11,719 Posts
jonlittle said:
And...new rules this year are- one point for tie at end of regulation, and one extra for a win in over time. So if you tie both teams get1 point and whoever wins in the 5 min over time or the shoot out.

Jon
That'll really mess stuff up since some games will be worth 2, others 3. Should have been 3 for a win at end of regulation...

·
Baddest N/A NPI in Canada
2,118 Posts
GreenBird said:
That'll really mess stuff up since some games will be worth 2, others 3. Should have been 3 for a win at end of regulation...
The most any NHL game is worth is 2 points. You get 2 if you win in regulation. You get 1 if you tie. You can get 1 more point if you win in overtime or in the shootout.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts