TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
801 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
yes is their anyway to find out if your tranny is running hot??? will it show it on your temp gauge ????? b/c i feel a lot of heat coming from the bottom of my car, and my car tends to run a bit warm, i have new rad, new hoses, and no leaks anywhere, my fan is working, so i dont know. ive been running mercon v on my tranny for a while now, and ever since i changed to mercon v my tranny has gone to crappppp, it shifts hard, and thiers no power , sometimes it misses 4rth gear the rpm's will rev up and then it will engage, im getting me a new tranny from a 96 3.8 but im not sure if it will hook up on my 95 3.8 cougar.

thanks for the inputs i really appreciate the help
Marvin M.

·
W&S Motorsports
161 Posts
HOT in Miami

To tell the actual temp you will need to fit a tranny temp gauge fro the likes of NordsKog or AutoMeter. Theoretically sitting in traffic they can run as hot as the coolant in the radiator around 200-210 deg F.

·
Registered
510 Posts
Why not put on a cooler? They are not hard to install & usually cost $50 or less, just be sure to buy 4ft. of extra cooling hose.

Cup

·
Registered
8 Posts
here's what i did

i had problems earlier on with my bird missing gears and having trouble getting into first after coming to a halt. (by the way its a 4r70w on a 4.6L, but the temperature problem is probably the same). after i installed a transgo shift kit, the problem grew worse, but at least it shifted harder. i suspected that temperature was the problem after doing a little research.

so i got the autometer temp guage at autozone and had a friend of mine weld the temp sensor socket straight into the trans oil pan instead of using a t-fitting in the fluid lines like most people do. hooked up the guage and found that my tranny was running at about 230 after a few miles. normal tranny temp should be around 160 to 180 degrees. anything higher and things start to fall apart. apparently temperature is a big problem with automatics in thunderbirds.

i began to question the big guys on the forums and found that replacing the current fluid with synthetic mercon V would not solve the problem because the seals in the valve body were not designed for synthetic fluid, and if it was used then it would slip around the seals and everything would go downhill from there.

so instead i installed a real generic tranny fluid cooler from autozone and rigged up right in front of the condenser unit, which is conveniently located in front of the fan for the radiator. well that helped slow the heat-up, but i finally discovered the real culprit- the electric fan. it only turns on after the engine hits 220 degrees, which is a very safe engine temperature. by that time however, the engine has dumped a lot of heat into the trans, because the tranny coolant lines run right through the radiator (go ahead and look. i know. even i think its stupid). in order for the fan to actually cool the tranny cool it has to be ON. (rocket science, i know). but there's only two ways to fix it - reprogram the EEC to do it, or do it yourself. two ways to do the latter - hard wire the fan to run all the time (boring solution), or ghetto-rig it to run automatically at a specific appropriate temperature. so i chose the latter.

autozone (and no i dont work there) had this cool little automatic fan switch with a turn knob that i hooked up to turn the fan on at 160 even if the engine was off. i did this by getting power not through the normal method in the ingnition switch but instead through the high amperage relay box in the engine compartment. really nice almost professional looking install.

so now the tranny runs at a cool, consistant 175 when its about 88 degrees outside (varies with outside temperature) and i'm safe from ever overheating again. and people ask me lots of questions like "hey are you just gonna leave your car running?" when its really off cuz they here the fan running. and then it turns off. and then it turns on as the coolant in the radiator settles. and then it turns off. lots of fun.

i would have the pics i took posted on my website, but i have a mostly fulltime job until school starts again, so until then you'll hafta wait for the cool detailed instructions.

·
Registered
801 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
can you pass the step by step info on how to do this?

yes if you could pass this info to me i could probably fix my problem, i know that grounding wire 17 in the relay will make the fan run all the time as soon as i turn the ignition switch, but if you can hook me up with this info i could make me a professional job.

thanks
Marvin M.

·
Administrator
14,226 Posts
Re: here's what i did

dogz007 said:
apparently temperature is a big problem with automatics in thunderbirds.
You try lugging around 2 tons all day and see how hot you get. ;)

Personally I would leave the main fan alone and get a second one to put in front of the tranny cooler if I was going to do that. However putting it in the direct path of air as it flows past the car would be the ideal solution.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts