TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How do you know when your transmission fluid has had enough? i dont know when it was last changed and i cant afford to change it for the heck of it.

·
Registered
871 Posts
How do you know when your transmission fluid has had enough? i dont know when it was last changed and i cant afford to change it for the heck of it.
If its already black and dirty, I wouldnt reccomend chaning it, it's probably holding it together,l you drain it and it will probably start sliping, if its not dark and still pinkish, change it out, just do a simple drain and fill

·
Registered
2,028 Posts
I have a small trans fluid leak, probably my gasket. However my fluid is still decent and I just add some like once a month. :)

·
Registered
2,028 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,617 Posts
I actually have refused to change people fluid when it is too bad. I have seen cars not move off the lift after a fluid change when the fluid was too bad.
Alan

·
Registered
871 Posts
I used to work a a "Lube Pros" in carol stream, I couldnty tell you the ammount of people who came back a couple of days after a flush or a drain and fill complaining that their tranny is slipping. I also got in trouble for telling a couple of people not to do it because their fluid was too dark, and thats why you dont go to one of those butcher shops.

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
i would have to aggree, if its sludge... your better off just pulling the whole trans and starting over, but if your on a budget, you might get a few more miles out of it with fresh as long as its still sort of clear brown.

i did change my 90 AODE after it was black as tar though, and its still going... for now :p

·
Registered
2,028 Posts
Thats so weird, what makes a vehicle do that?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts