TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1991 Cougar XR7 and I got lucky and found a NOS drivers side armrest for it. Can someone here tell me how to install it? It looks like I may have to remove the door panel. I'd rather not do that if I don't have to. I looked a little in youtube, google, and here and didn't find anything. Maybe I didn't look hard enough. Thanks, Larry

·
Super Moderator
5,022 Posts
I have a 1991 Cougar XR7 and I got lucky and found a NOS drivers side armrest for it. Can someone here tell me how to install it? It looks like I may have to remove the door panel. I'd rather not do that if I don't have to. I looked a little in youtube, google, and here and didn't find anything. Maybe I didn't look hard enough. Thanks, Larry
Replace the whole door panel.

The armrest, on my 1991, is sonic welded to the door panel (from what I remember from last time in.)

But yes, it's connected on the inside of the door panel; how else would you replace it?

Plus the most common failure mode of the armrest is for the hinge pins to wear out, the door to start sagging and binding, the door panel to break, and then the armrest to break due to the stress of shutting the door with the pins bad.

RwP

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I sure hope that's not correct, or else I wasted $109.00 on a useless NOS armrest. I wonder why they're sold separate if you must replace the entire door panel? It looks like it may snap in somehow.

·
Super Moderator
17,171 Posts
You can disassemble the door panel and grind off the tabs, Ralph is being dramatic.

Those round black tabs are melted when installed in the panel to secure it. You don't have to do it that way, you can use self tapping screws that match the holes rather than melting them, that process is only beneficial from a manufacturing standpoint since it's quick.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
This is a big disappointment for me. I was very happy to have the perfect NOS part. Now it looks like I might not be able to use it. I probably wasted $109.00. I'd probably have to remove the door panel and somehow break the old armrest from the door panel (without ruining anything) and then glue the new part to the (hopefully) still intact door panel.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts