TCCoA Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
621 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Which is the official way to tell which kinda rear end you have? I know it's on the "axel" sector in the sticker behind the driverside door, but what's the code? (BTW, this is on 96-97's)

·
Registered
1,431 Posts

·
Registered
621 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)

·
Registered
726 Posts
If you have traction assist, you don't have trak lok, it says so in the owners manual. If you don't have traction assist, you MIGHT have trak lok

·
Registered
621 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Why didn't they include TA w/ Trac-lock?

·
MN12 Fanatic
1,459 Posts
Does this make any sense?

Well the traction assist applies the brakes to keep the wheel(s) from spinning....right? So wouldn't it be easier for the traction assist to stop 1 wheel from spining/sliping (open diff) instead off 2 (trak lok). Plus to make the traction assist look/work better, with an open diff the chances are that only 1 tire will loose grip instead of 2 of them. So if one tire happens to spin the car has less chance of going out of control than if both were spinning....right? So I bet ford through open diffs in traction assisted cars so it would work better.... Does this sound right? Or is this just plain old stupid? I am just geussing why ford may have done this, so don't quote me on this or anything, its just and idea.

:D

·
Registered
437 Posts
Bean Counters!!!!!!

An Open diff. is cheaper to build than a Trac-Lok.

You can install a Track-Lok in any Traction Control car.

I believe that the Traction Control only kicks in, in One tire is spinning faster than the other. It should NOT work when Both tires are spinning equally. In that respect, installing a Trac-Lok should conserve some of your brake life.

68COUGAR
_________

·
Registered
621 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I guess when/if I upgrade to higher gears, I'll get the trac-lock on there too.

·
Pedal Faster
2,658 Posts
I think 68Cougar is right. Since the Traction Assist really just mimics a limited slip differential with braking, seems like the real thing would work even better ;-)

·
Registered
621 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Josh_Keady said:
I think 68Cougar is right. Since the Traction Assist really just mimics a limited slip differential with braking, seems like the real thing would work even better ;-)
Well, traction assist works on wheels that slip in the front too, doesn't it?

·
Pedal Faster
2,658 Posts
It might... but there's no power there so I don't know quite what it would achieve by applying the brakes there. I think maybe you're thinking of stability control instead of traction control. Stability control works with cornering forces and the like to provide more stable turning for those who would otherwise sling their expensive metal in to the ditch. Traction control (as is my understanding) just keeps wheel-spin to a minimum.

Correct me if I'm wrong, though...

JK

1 - 12 of 12 Posts